Advice on moving carbonated kegs without getting head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baulko Brewer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm going to friends farm this afternoon for a bender and taking a keg with me.

The keg I have in mind is carbonated and ready to go, but I fear that moving the keg around (ie packing into car, bouncing along,carrying etc) will make the beer nothing but head. I am taking a keg charger and have a brumby picnic tap.

We will be keen to start drinking as soon as we get there, should I degas before we leave and regas when we get there?? Would that help, or will we just need to wait until it settles. Or will it be OK?

I am keen to show off my wares, and dont want to pour a heady murky mess.

On a side note, will I lose clarity due to shaking and if so, is there a way to combat that as well.

I think that I have covered everything.

Thanks in advance
BB

I knew as soon as I pushed send that I badly worded the topic to include head :D

Nice title.
If you have a filter run it through it into another keg. If keg untapped pull a couple first to get some crud off the bottom.
Give it a burp when you get there ( stand back), initial pours may take awhile for head to go down, do the german technique and start pouring your next beer when you start another glass.

Number one thing is to keep it cold, really. Also dispense with plenty of line so it comes out nice and slow.

Hardest part is getting the noobs to not push the tap half way, or pour it from a height like the girls at the bar.

With regard to the title, I would suggest not to carry the keg dangling between your legs, it will only get in the way, you'll have to carry it above your waste. :super:
With regard to the content, I have in the past done this. Do not depressurise for trip, keep chilled, when you get to destination set up where keg will remain and let it sit for a few minutes, purge and repressurise keg to pouring pressure, have a stubbie of something tasty while you give your keg a chance to settle.
Patience is your friend.

No matter how much shaking and bumping you do, if you serve it as cold as it was carbonated at and dispense at the same pressure, the beer will remain carbonated exactly the same and won't be all head. In other words you can't add carbonation just by shaking.

Saying that you will have disturbed any sediment within the keg and will more than likely serve a few floaties in the first few glasses, which may cause some nucleation. Get the keg still and cold as soon as possible. Also the longer you wait the clearer the beer will be.

Latest posts

Back