Advice On Making A Keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmactruck

Reaction score
Finally getting the pieces together to move to AG.

What is the minimum sized hole for the weldless spigot?

I have read 7/8", but isn't the spigot a 1/2 " s/s threaded pipe piece?
:super:

I would get all your plumbing pieces together ready then just mark out the hole diameter you need based on your threaded pipe that you use to pass through the keggle wall.

I drilled a series of small holes around the circumference on mine, then punched out the centre. Then filed it back as required. A few silicon washers and lock nuts and you are away!

I went half inch threaded rod, ball valves, etc.

I have done upwards of twenty of these now.

Get yourself a step bit. Bunnings sell a cheap one - Sontax - which is actually quite decent for home use < $20.

If you treat it nice and cool with oil while you drill slowly, it should last forever.

You can then drill exactly to the diameter of your weldless socket.

If you are lucky enough to have a mate who can weld, you can drill out to exactly 1/2 inch to weld in a BSP socket.

I have done upwards of twenty of these now.

Get yourself a step bit. Bunnings sell a cheap one - Sontax - which is actually quite decent for home use < $20.

If you treat it nice and cool with oil while you drill slowly, it should last forever.

You can then drill exactly to the diameter of your weldless socket.

If you are lucky enough to have a mate who can weld, you can drill out to exactly 1/2 inch to weld in a BSP socket.
Which size did you use for the 1/2 inch sockets?
The local green-shed used to sell 2 different packs, one with a single large size bit and one with two smaller bits, now they have only the smaller ones which I'm not sure will be big enough.

Not saying they don't work BUT, I tried a step bit on my 50 ltr keggle. Used oil like you should. Took at least 2 hrs to get it to 8mm. Went to a mates place who has a 20mm bit and it was done in 2 minutes. Stepped bits wer awesome for the fridge though, like going through butter!

Hmm, not sure on what you mean by size so pics attached. This was a single step bit, not a kit that has 2, or 3, or 7 bits in a box.

After a pilot hole, I was able to drill to 1/2 inch in approx 2 minutes.

PM me if you need more assistance and I can give you a call.

Pic's attached of my drill bit and finished product.

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6779.JPG

Finally getting the pieces together to move to AG.

What is the minimum sized hole for the weldless spigot?

I have read 7/8", but isn't the spigot a 1/2 " s/s threaded pipe piece?
:super:
1/2"threaded pipe is actually 19mm OD (7/8")

i used a 19mm hole saw . make sure when you cut the opening on top that it fits a saucepan lid so you can keep the bugs out.

i used a 19mm hole saw . make sure when you cut the opening on top that it fits a saucepan lid so you can keep the bugs out.
I tend to disagree a bit here,when cutting the top i'd cut as big a hole as possible,it makes it heaps easier if you need to work assembling fittings inside the 'keggle'.With my keggles ,i left about 2/3 inches of lip around the top,and got a metal place to cut me a piece of 2mm ali plate for a lid,cost about $20 per lid,dearer than a saucepan lid,but much easier to work with :icon_cheers:

Back