Advice On First All-grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason

Reaction score
Hey, just need some advice.

I poured all the stuff (hops and other floaty stuff) from the bottom of the boiler into the fermenter. Is this bad, or will my brew still be ok?

Also, if I was to batch sparge after the 90 min at 66C period, do i:
1) drain the tun of the first runnings and then add the 75C sparge water wait 15min and then drain the second runnings, or
2) do i add the 75C sparge water on top of the mash water in the tun and then wait 15min and then drain the entire runnings?

Thanks

Hey, just need some advice.

I poured all the stuff (hops and other floaty stuff) from the bottom of the boiler into the fermenter. Is this bad, or will my brew still be ok?

Also, if I was to batch sparge after the 90 min at 66C period, do i:
1) drain the tun of the first runnings and then add the 75C sparge water wait 15min and then drain the second runnings, or
2) do i add the 75C sparge water on top of the mash water in the tun and then wait 15min and then drain the entire runnings?

Thanks

Brew will be fine.

Add sparge water at close to boiling - this will bring your mashout temp to approx 78c. Add to mash water & stir - then recirculate till clear - then drain into kettle. Do this twice, aiming for 2 equal runnoffs into your kettle.

cheers Ross

hey thanks for the advice.
So in your opinion would it be safe to always pour in the hot/cold break stuff and the hops after boiling all into the fermenter, as i potentially could have lost a litre or two trying to avoid the crap while pouring the wort into the fermenter through a strainer (which was no help at all) and then decided to ignore it, and pour the lot into the fermenter as my arms were getting tired holding the stock pot. Some one suggested to use whirlfloc, but is it worth it? (I want to brew cheaply).

Any help is welcome, as you can tell Im new to the all-grain process.

As with pretty much everything in life there is two schools of thought. With Cold and Hot break its exactly the same. Leave in or filter out.

I subscribe to leave it in. I don't notice any difference and it makes the process easier for my equipment. Some references states that some cold break is actually beneficial to the yeast, so go figure.

I do however leave the majority of the trub behind in my kettle using my pickup tube, primarily as it makes emptying my fermenter without blockages more possible. I use whirlfloc, but its effectiveness is kind of debatable. Its cheap enough to justify its use though.

So in short i have come to the conclusion that its a valid technique for those who aren't too fussed ie me.

Will

Jason,
I too use a primitive but simple system,and tip the lot in cos I'm a tight arse.
Over a dozen AG's and 4 partials with out any detrimental effects.Everything gets left behind @ racking.

Latest posts

Back