Advice On Fermentation Temps....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symphony1975

Reaction score
hey i was wanting a bit of feedback on my fermentation temps. we pitched our yeasts higher than we had hoped then couldnt get them down enough to the fermentation temps we wanted. i am bottling tommorrow and was wanting to know what we could expect when they are ready to taste.....

weizenbock - using wyeast 3056 (bavarian wheat). pitch temp - 22. ferment temp - 18. desired ferm temp - 17.

dunkelweizen - using wyeast 3068 (weihenstephan weizen). pitch temp - 26. ferment temp - 20 to 18. desired ferm temp - 17.

both of these were bloody volcanos for 3 days. was this because i pitched a bit warm?

spiced xmas ale - using danstar nottingham. pitch temp - 28. ferment temp 26 to 22. desired ferm temp - 20.

i have been reading alot about fusel alcohols from too high fermentation temps etc and was wondering if these temps are a concern for these yeasts

thanks again for all the great advice

cheers

Wheat beers will often have huge amounts of krausen during primary ferment, they are excitable! Blowoff tubes recommened!

1 - 3 degrees above desired ferment temps wont be an issue in regards to fusels - those temps are still under control and should be within the tolerance temps for the yeasts. From memory the wheat yeasts will throw out banana/clove in differing amounts dependant on temperature of ferment.

Your xmas ale should be fine also as you want to be aging that for a while, so any minor fusels should dissipate and/or be masked somewhat with your spices in the brew.

3638 produces a very similar flavour profile to 3068 but doesn't try to climb out the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back