Advice For Next Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
made up a brew on the weekend.
i boiled my hops etc for 30mins etc. when it was done turned it off and tipped it straight into the fermenter.
Someone said to me i should have waited for it to cool down before chucking it in? is this true??

Depends what you boiled them in, what was in the fermenter at the time and whether yeast was involved.

There are reasons for chilling wort down before pouring but more information is needed.

boiled in 5ltrs of water and 1/3 can of coppers LME.
Nothing in the fermenter.
And no yeast yet. not until it was made to the 23ltrs

You'll be OK in this instance, as you would presumably have added cold water to the fermenter, which would have cooled the overall contents.

In future, you'd be better advised to cool down your boil vessel by sitting in a sink of cold water to chill it. You might need to do this 2 or 3 times to get it down to proper pitching temperature.

This will help to keep theoverall temperature of your fermenter contents cooler, enabling better conditions for pitching your yeast.
It will also prevent hot side aeration (a whole other topic you can research later if you wish).

I don't think it would really be an issue. With larger volume boils like partial mash/all grain it's advised to chill before pouring to avoid hot side aeration (oxidation of the hot wort). The jury seems to be out on whether this is a real problem for homebrewers but most mash brewers (including myself) seem to take precautions to avoid splashing and pouring hot wort.

I'm not actually sure how it affects extract but my assumption would be that a full volume brew should probably be treated the same way.

However I wouldn't worry too much about 5 litres of water and 1/3 of a can. When I did kits and extracts I often poured 2-5 L boiling water/malt/kit mix straight in. I didn't keep any of my beers for a super long time so they may have suffered long term stability problems* but I never encountered it.

*Hot side aeration results in stability problems.

However if you're intending to increase the size of your boils or move into mash brewing then it might be a good habit to get into.

Oh phew!
Thanks for that mate

You've put my mind at ease!

Yer the rest of the fermenter was filled with cool water. then sat the fermenter in a bucket of ice water for 25mins before pitching the yeast

Hey peoples. This isn't quiet on topic and for that matter its very loosely related at best, but rather than starting another thread ill ask here.

Could i continuously aerate my starter with my air stone as i dont have a stir plate?

If yes how would i get the air into the starter while letting the Co2 escape whilst keeping the nasties out? I use a 5L flask.

TYVM Damian

Use one of these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=872

If you cover the top of the flask with glad wrap or tin foil you should be fine. The positive air flow will stop nasties getting in.

You will however end up with VERY oxidised beer in the starter which you would want to let completely ferment out, then put it in the fridge to settle. Then tip the clear beer off the top. Create a slurry with some sanitary water and tip this into the fermenter.

Thats what I would do anyways...

Back