Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
I have a FWK down at the moment
OG was 1044
FG is 1011

So a more than acceptable fermentation. However the beer is thin like I cannot believe. Just tastes like a watery hop tea, with no appreciable malt flavour.

Couple of questions. Searching has shown that I can add back some mouthfeel with Maltodextrine, and I am thinking of adding 100g to see if it makes a difference.

But the real question is, does a beer have a great percieved mouthfeel after carbonation. I don't want to go adding stuff to what is otherwise a nice clean beer, if some bubbles will fix it up.

For what it is worth Ill be kegging this beer.

Ideas / Suggestions?

JakeSm

Reaction score
I dont know how much it would help but if your using bottle then the copper tun carbonation drops are made of dextrose and maltodexting. Others are just dextrose/glucose (coopers) and i think the brew cellar ones are dextrose and sucrose. But you could 50/50 dextose to maltodextrin in your bulk prime if you carbonate that way.

Hope this sort of helps...

Cheers jake

JakeSm

Reaction score
Haha sorry just seen you are kegging it...oh well scrap that idea.

By the way were on the coast are you...would you like to do a swap if you have any bottles as i dont keg yet?

joshuahardie

Reaction score
I am taking the keg to a function, so I want to force carb it, serve the clearest beer possible. People drink with their eyes.

Anyway, Ill try the Maltodextrine and report back in a week or so.
See what the differences are.

joshuahardie

Reaction score
As a follow up, carbonation gives noticeable mouthfeel to a beer, compared to it uncarbed.
I didn't need to add the maltodextrine after all.

crisis averted

Latest posts