Additional yeast a week after first pitching?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK1

Reaction score
Hi,

Getting back into brewing after a long hiatus. Just put together a couple of kits - AHB's Sticks and Stones Specific Ale and Country Brewer's Passionfruit cider (don't judge, the wife likes it).

Both kits were recent purposes, and yeast pitched when they were 25 degrees. Been in the fermenter at around 19-20 degrees for a few days now (both done on Boxing Day), and no bubbling activity in the airlock and not much in the way of krausen on top.

So considering adding another pack of yeast to both (the cider yeast was a bot older than the ale yeast. but had been in the fridge and 6 months to expiry). Will be Tuesday before I can add them, so will be a week after initial pitching.

Is it still worth it after a week, to try and kick off some (or more) fermentation? It's the earliest I can get the yeast. Both are in temp-controlled fridge and sealed (airlock) so should be OK if they sit there for a week with minimal yeast activity?

Hi Mate - have you taken any hydrometer readings to see where they are at? Best and only reliable way of tracking a ferment as airlocks can tell porkies.

LAGERFRENZY said:
Hi Mate - have you taken any hydrometer readings to see where they are at? Best and only reliable way of tracking a ferment as airlocks can tell porkies.
That's how long it's been since I brewed..I didn't think of that :blush:. Beer has dropped a little, cider not noticeably. So just slow. Might chuck more yeast in when it arrives just to get it moving towards FG. Guess it can't hurt?

Latest posts

Back