Adding Tap To Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
This is how I did it Wax,
[snip]I made up rubber washers , you can see by the pic that after a few brews they were getting hot and smoking a bit , I made a little gaurd , works well.
I bought the stainless washers
Hey Batz,
Good work with the guard mate - 5 mins with some tin and snips and a screw or two into the keg skirt and the job's done. Will do that after I fit the tap and spigot.
Thanks for the idea!
TL

Hoops,

From your description it sounds very similar to mine.

BTW have you ever tried to use the extension thingie yet?? Bit of a bugger to get working correctly. Could be just me acting tool-challenged as per usual though. :blink:

Warren -

1. In this instance, a tapered reamer is a tool used to enlarge an existing hole.
2. Stainless can be machined at similar speeds to mild steels, but the tool must be sharpand the feed must be continuous otherwise the material will work harden instantly if the tool just rubs on and burnishes the surface. In other words, keep a good pressure on the drill and he who hesitates is lost.

Well reading these posts always reminds me that there aren't too many ways to put a hole in a keg:

a. usually involves some drilling. Step up and make sure your drills are sharp otherwise you will just work harden the SS. Don't be a pussy and use lubricant.

b. Dremmel/Hand file/Die grinder/Tapered reamer to get up to the size you need.

As for cutting oil, I just dilute motor oil with kero.

You can buy the exact sized drill for around $15 if you look around.

warrenlw63 said:
Hoops,

From your description it sounds very similar to mine.

BTW have you ever tried to use the extension thingie yet?? Bit of a bugger to get working correctly. Could be just me acting tool-challenged as per usual though. :blink:

Warren -
Warren

that's how I use it all the time (with the extension). Much easier to get into tight spots, especially for grinding and polishing welds.

Mine is a Super Works Rotary Tool

Hoops

Yet another picture of a tap in a SS keg...

KegTap.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts on just using a siphon? sound a hell of a lot easier then doing the tap thing. Also if u used a very long peice of tube for the siphon you could curl a metre or so up into a bucket of ice and chill the wort as it siphoned into the fermenter. <_<

Back