Adding Hops To Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewg1978

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would normally dry hop during fermentation but had a coopers larger kit and some brewing suguar I found in the cupboard so brewed up just to use it more to see the difference from the 1st brew I did and how much better things are now.

The larger is OK but has a bit of a sulphury aftertaste in the keg but seems good otherwise. I was thinking about putting some hops in the keg to mask this flavor but not sure if it will work. Has anybody done anything like this?

Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew.

Yes I have put hops in a keg to improve the flavour.

The easiest way is to get a bag of finishing hops like the one in a tea bag.

I tie a piece of fishing line on the bag about 200mm long and tie a sterilized cork on the other end.
Degas the keg and carefully open the lid. throw the cork and hops in and close up and set gas to pouring pressure.
Wait a few days and try a brew. If it gets too hoppy it just a matter of degassing the keg and grabbing hold of the cork and pull the whole thing out.
Hop essesence will do the same thing but I personally dont like the flavour of them

Cheers

JWB

I've put Amarillo in the kegs a few times - very nice

I put northern brewer in a cal common I made which was an experience

Each time it was 10g - but will probably drop this to 5g in future

It's like chewing hops for a little while :)

Also use a hop ball / similar - don't chuck them straight in - they'll clog up the tubes

And also if force carbing by shaking - put them in after carbing - otherwise it's floaty central

Cheers

Andrew,

My favourite drop is Coopers Lager dry hopped with a Morgans teabag of Cluster - sensational!

Just do the soak as recommended on the bag, and bung the lot in just before adding the wort.

:icon_chickcheers:

Dave

Dave

Also use a hop ball / similar - don't chuck them straight in - they'll clog up the tubes

they sure will! and it doesnt take many pellets at all to swell enough to block the tube either.
joe

Sounds like some people here have some experience with hops blocking up kegs...

I recently kegged an IPA and while i was draining the fermenter the hops blocked my sediment reducer so i had to remove it on the fly, just tapped the keg and it seems there are more than afew flowers in there clogging up the lines.

Im thinking of transferring it to another keg (which will probably take all night judging by the flow rate) Are there any other methods to stop the hops from climbing up my dip tube??

I don't keg but have used hop teabags, and at only 12 g of hop pellets in the bag they aren't going to overpower anything. As previous posters suggest, a really nice hop is Cluster (as used in XXXX and probably Tooheys as well). The bag will almost certainly float at the top of the brew. The hop teabags I used, from Morgans, are called 'finishing hops' and just give the aroma with not too much bitterness. Boil the bag for about 15 mins if you actually want some bitterness to develop, otherwise just pour a kettle over them in a pan and wait for a while.

Coopers Lager is their lowest IBU kit, according to their website, so benefits from additional hops.

Sounds like some people here have some experience with hops blocking up kegs...

I recently kegged an IPA and while i was draining the fermenter the hops blocked my sediment reducer so i had to remove it on the fly, just tapped the keg and it seems there are more than afew flowers in there clogging up the lines.

Im thinking of transferring it to another keg (which will probably take all night judging by the flow rate) Are there any other methods to stop the hops from climbing up my dip tube??

Anyone have any ideas???

Back