Adding Gelatine, Will It Stop Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformed99

Reaction score
Just a thought I had about using gelatine to fine (I've never done it before). If I add it when racking to secondary after about a week in primary, will it stop any secondary fermentation, or will there be enough yeast in suspension after the fining to finish up?

Thanks

I assume you mean an ale?
Most ales at 18-20C would be fully fermented within 7 days.
I rack to secondary after 10-14 days, gelatine fine, wait 4 days, then bulk prime. I have had brews drop a few more points in secondary.
Gelatine is great for clearing things up, but wont resolve chill haze.
If you're not fussed about clarify, or do lots of wheat beers... I wouldn't even bother as there is very little benefit to flavour and aroma.

Just a thought I had about using gelatine to fine (I've never done it before). If I add it when racking to secondary after about a week in primary, will it stop any secondary fermentation, or will there be enough yeast in suspension after the fining to finish up?

Thanks
No, it doesnt stop fermentation.
Just leaves a slightly heavier dormant yeast at the end of conditioning.

OK cool thanks for the advice. How effective is gelatine anyway? I usually just leave my brews in primary for ~14 days with the last 2-3 pretty cold at about 2 degrees. Will I see much difference with the gelatine?

OK cool thanks for the advice. How effective is gelatine anyway? I usually just leave my brews in primary for ~14 days with the last 2-3 pretty cold at about 2 degrees. Will I see much difference with the gelatine?

Yes, if used correctly. Firstly, you will have clearer beer, but secondly, any sediment that is in bottles or keg, flocs out solid again in a much shorter period of time...I had occasion the other day to move a keg, and disturbed all the sediment...the first pour was a little cloudy. 15 minutes later, I poured another beer, that was so crystal clear that you wouldn't have known the keg was disturbed....

Thanks everyone!

So, the consensus is that

a) I'm not going to ruin everything by adding gelatine before fermentation has finished
and
B) its a worthwhile exercise

Just to be a pain in the bum, I usually gelatine fine towards the end of secondary / cold conditioning but for my last brew I actually added it to the bulk prime and the brew dropped crystal clear in the bottle in 3 days. Didn't affect carbonation, the yeast just worked from the bottom and it's quite gassy after only a week.

Thanks

mate, I racked onto my finings after 7 days in the primary. since then my lad was playing with my airlock and dumped god knows how much sanitiser into the wort.

it'll be 7 days in the secondary tomorrow and gravity has dropped to 1010 as of last night from 1017 last saturday.
So, based on that; if you mix your gelatine with some saniter (NOT recommended) and dump that into your secondary....albeit slow....Fermentation will still take place!

:super: :beer: :beerbang:

mate, I racked onto my finings after 7 days in the primary. since then my lad was playing with my airlock and dumped god knows how much sanitiser into the wort.

it'll be 7 days in the secondary tomorrow and gravity has dropped to 1010 as of last night from 1017 last saturday.
So, based on that; if you mix your gelatine with some saniter (NOT recommended) and dump that into your secondary....albeit slow....Fermentation will still take place!

bwaahh, I told you today would be the day. :lol:
Just make sure it's stable tomorrow and you're good to go....

(sorry for the short hijack, but I love it when I'm right. :huh: )

bwaahh, I told you today would be the day. :lol:
Just make sure it's stable tomorrow and you're good to go....

(sorry for the short hijack, but I love it when I'm right. :huh: )

No doubt about you mate....you are a fkn gun!

Back