Adding Extra Yeast After 10days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanR

Reaction score
I have had a coopers sparkling that has been sitting at 1020 for around 4 days now.
I have tried moving the yeast around on the bottom by twisting the fementer , sitting it on the bench overnight so it was a little warmer around 24 deg so last night i added another packet of yeast will this help to finish it off or do I have a bigger problem

what I started with is

1 coopers sparkling

1 coopers malt tin

.6 light dry malt

packet yeast pitched at 22 deg

22.5 lt of water

This has been fementing since the 21st

Adding extra yeast will probabaly do nothing. With the anerobic conditions and low pH you may struggle to have any growth and the yeast may just stay dormant.

I'd suggest just swirling the fermenter to 'rouse' the current yeast and rise the temp if possible by say 2 degrees. With how far its currently into fermentation already, the chances of an ugly ferment profile is quite slim. You are more likly to run into issues with fermentations precursors from early flocculation/stalling e.g. diacetyl in your current situation.

Cheers!

If you do add extra yeast don't just dump it in. At the very least rehydrate it. Even though starters are not normally recommended for dried yeast, it can help in this instance.

Do the above first though (swirl etc)

My sparkling did exactly the same thing, stalled at 1020.
I gave it a swirl and off it went again, finished at 1014. Only have 15 PET bottles left and am trying my hardest not to get stuck in before Christmas :icon_drool2:

dam buy the sound of things I have done the wrong thing I just dumped the yeast in I should of just waited a little longer

I will leave it till the weekend and bottle it will this be ok or will the extra yeast affect it ?

sorry to ask stupid questions just want it to turn out right after drawing a sample and tasting it it tastes nice alreddy

Back