Addig Lactic Acid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
I have just brewed a witbier with wyeast 3944. The beer tastes good, I am happy with the flavours. But it lacks something, not quite sure what.

I took it to a party yesterday and got a really good response early on. But after everyone had drunk 3 or 4, they seemed to go of it, as did I - I guess is wasnt very 'sessionable'.

I have been assessing its characteristics, and have decided that it lacks the tartness that should be delivered by wyeat 3944, so I am toying with the idea of adding a little lactic acid to a kag to see what effect it has on it. Could anyone suggest what quantity to add per litre, or what method is used when making an addition like this?

Thanks

Try dropping the acid with a very small syringe or eye dropper into a measured volume of beer - say 200ml. When you work out the amount which tastes right scale it up for the remainder of the batch.

I've done this - give your self some time. I found my palate fatigued really fast while trying to work out the acid level. I arrived at a taste I thought was just right, then added the appropriate amount to my keg - way too much.

I suggest you work out what you think you need, then add 2/3rds of that amount and taste it the next day. You can always add more, but you can't take it out again.

Ditto what TB said. Be careful about adding acid directly to the keg because you can't remove it if you go overboard. Add a small amount, taste, wait a day and taste again. Add a bit more & repeat the process if it isn't tart enough for you. It may take a few days to find the right amount, but at least you won't spoil the entire batch.

I agree that you should add a little at a time. I added about 20 drops at a time before stirring and re-tasting. It took some time, and some palate-cleansing sips of water in between, but I got to where I was happy with the balance. This was confirmed by most who tasted the Berliner weisse.

If you want a short-cut, Brewing Techniques suggests the addition of the following amounts of 88% lactic acid: "10 mL is a good starting point, adjusting to taste. By the time you reach 25 mL, the beer will definitely be sour."

Thanks for the help. I will try adding 5mL to the 9L I have left in a keg and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back