Adapting 5l Party Kegs To Corny Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you fit a 1/4" JG fitting to the end of your 1/4" barb you are inserting into the rubber grommet? Basically the same fitting you would use on youre keg disconnect.

If this works you would be eliminating the elbow, post and disconnect.

Yeah, I imagine you can get the right JG part to go on the barb. The threaded side of the barb is just that, a standard threaded fitting. But then you can't disconnect anything until it's empty, unless you also put some kind of stopcock in-line.

Hey Guys,

Instead of all that plumbing wouldn't just a barb to male quick disconnect do? Look in the keg king price list for product 005632.

Cheers,

Nick

Instead of all that plumbing wouldn't just a barb to male quick disconnect do? Look in the keg king price list for product 005632.

Do they seal up at all? I mean, there appears to be no valve in them, so same problem as above -- you can't disconnect them until the keg is empty.

Also, a lot of the point (for me) was to have standard corny posts so as to not have different fittings lying around.

Very interested to hear how your tests are going, guess I'll hear tomorrow if you have results.

Well, no leaks.. I have successfully made some soda water. (Obviously not very well-carbonated soda water after <24 hours, but I'll consider it a success.)

What's your gas source?

Just one of those tiny (540g?) cylinders and a normal reg. That in itself is pretty portable, but if you're taking it somewhere, the CO2 bulbs would obviously be a good option too. Or, perhaps just giving it a bit of extra gas before heading off would be enough. Requires more testing, once I have hooked up a tap...

I was going to buy on of these kegs from ross the other day as i have post,adaptors already. Ross said that as the kegss are enameled steel that they wont last that long so not really cost effective. Ive got a spray bottle with corny posts but has a very small leak, may need to get a 9 l keg

I was going to buy on of these kegs from ross the other day as i have post,adaptors already. Ross said that as the kegss are enameled steel that they wont last that long so not really cost effective. Ive got a spray bottle with corny posts but has a very small leak, may need to get a 9 l keg

How long is "not that long"? Sure they're not going to last forever... but I imagine the commercially filled ones sit around for many months, and it's cheap enough to replace the 5l keg itself (perhaps filled with something not untasty). The adaptors will last pretty much forever...

Back