Achieving Low Srm With High Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
This is a question I had from another post.

And although it was answered I feel the need to know more.

So why is it so hard then? Couldn't you just use a butt load of pilsner malt and totally convert it?

Hi Pete,

Think of it like this, two worts each 20ltrs, both made with 100% pilsner malt. The OG of one is 1.070 and the OG of the second is 1.040.

Which one will be darker?

Cheers SJ

( i hope this is the answer, it makes sense to me! :huh: )

Hi Pete,

Think of it like this, two worts each 20ltrs, both made with 100% pilsner malt. The OG of one is 1.070 and the OG of the second is 1.040.

Which one will be darker?

Cheers SJ

( i hope this is the answer, it makes sense to me! :huh: )

I just tried making a beer with a butt load of pilsner and I'm not getting a lot of sugar. :rolleyes:

This is a question I had from another post.
And although it was answered I feel the need to know more.
So why is it so hard then? Couldn't you just use a butt load of pilsner malt and totally convert it?

Its not hard to achieve a low SRM 4~ (yellow/gold) with just base malt. Thats easy. Whats being spoken of is a beer thats straw in appearance or even LOWER. Think Havana Club Gold. Its translucent yellow at best. This is the colour that is being strived for or something between that and 3 SRM. Straw or lighter than straw basically. Can you do that with a high concentration of base pilsner malt @ 1.050? most likly no. You will proabably get 3.5-4 SRM at best, thats just the nature of the beast, a high amount of base malt concentration by weight to get to 1.050.

To get the colour really low you need to offset this with adjunct this is not kilned so you only achieve marginal colour from it. Rice is the best to use for a neutral palate as the starches primarily get converted to maltose. If you add sucrose in high concentration you will most likly notice it in your fermentation profile and body.

You will also run into issues with your boil of the pH is not low enough as the pH effects wort darkening during the boil. If you keep the pH low, darkening will be reduced. Consequently you will effect hop utilisation and fermentability (from memory) too which is abit of a trade off.

This is an example of one of my super light SRM beers. @ 3SRM~

capsample.jpg

Its not hard to achieve a low SRM 4~ (yellow/gold) with just base malt. Thats easy. Whats being spoken of is a beer thats straw in appearance or even LOWER. Think Havana Club Gold. Its translucent yellow at best. This is the colour that is being strived for or something between that and 3 SRM. Straw or lighter than straw basically. Can you do that with a high concentration of base pilsner malt @ 1.050? most likly no. You will proabably get 3.5-4 SRM at best, thats just the nature of the beast, a high amount of base malt concentration by weight to get to 1.050.

To get the colour really low you need to offset this with adjunct this is not kilned so you only achieve marginal colour from it. Rice is the best to use for a neutral palate as the starches primarily get converted to maltose. If you add sucrose in high concentration you will most likly notice it in your fermentation profile and body.

You will also run into issues with your boil of the pH is not low enough as the pH effects wort darkening during the boil. If you keep the pH low, darkening will be reduced. Consequently you will effect hop utilisation and fermentability (from memory) too which is abit of a trade off.

This is an example of one of my super light SRM beers. @ 3SRM~

View attachment 35829

What's your grain bill look like? Or is that a trade secret? :ph34r:

I would say there is a good whack of rice in the grain bill, ala rice lager.

Cheers SJ

What's your grain bill look like? Or is that a trade secret? :ph34r:

I would say there is a good whack of rice in the grain bill, ala rice lager.

Cheers SJ

It was actually 80% pilsner and 20% corn OG @ 1.050. If it was all pilsner malt, it would be more gold in appearance. i think the high amount of Ca in the boil helped reduce the wort darkening. although i cannot confirm the pH figure.

An example of a colour i want to achieve from when i was in Vietnam. probabaly between 2-3SRM.

Untitled.jpg

Ahhhh, It's all clear now! ;)

I was thinking about your case swap Viet Rice Lager, but damn that is one pale beer there!

Cheers SJ

That's awesome you were able to achieve that colour. Is a low SRM you're only colour goal? I hear ruby is pretty damn hard colour to get. It's what Little Creatures Rogers was meant to be like but replicating the colour over and over again was too damn hard.

That's awesome you were able to achieve that colour. Is a low SRM you're only colour goal?

Pretty much. Oh, that and a Black IPA that actually tastes just like an IPA. Im planning on getting there with Black sticky rice and a touch of carafa to adjust.

Getting a low colour is just one of my goals whilst still having a super drinkable, FLAVOURSOME beer. Something very hard to get. I believe Asher may be on this quest too.

Like Fourstar one of the many things I'm trying to get a handle on is the super pale beers that are full of flavour, they look awesome and if you can get that flavor up there thay are a real surprise when most people sample them. Rice is a great way to reduce color in an all grain beer.
This is my latest Rice lager, full of malt flavour to.

Lite_Lager_006__640x480_.JPG

Andrew

Sounds like as kid you got caught up in the 'clear cola' fad!! :p

Love the idea of a black IPA however!

Cheers SJ

Spritz.jpg

fourstar's beer is going to end up like this.

PS. Cheers for the replies :icon_cheers:

Excuse my ignorance, but are you using rice as per 'normal', supermarket sourced rice?? What kind of extract ratios do you get out of it?

Cheers - Mike

I did a wheat rice a while back that was almost clear. It was a weaselpiss masterpiece. 70% BB wheat malt and 30% rice.

I might make it again this weekend!

I did a wheat rice a while back that was almost clear. It was a weaselpiss masterpiece. 70% BB wheat malt and 30% rice.

I might make it again this weekend!

did you just use wheat malt and rice? dont you need malted barley to convert the wheat, and rice?

Lobo

Like Fourstar one of the many things I'm trying to get a handle on is the super pale beers that are full of flavour, they look awesome and if you can get that flavor up there thay are a real surprise when most people sample them. Rice is a great way to reduce color in an all grain beer.
This is my latest Rice lager, full of malt flavour to.

View attachment 35832

Andrew

That's an awesomely pale beer. What's your grist and OG, if I may ask?

Latest posts

Back