ACCC acts on beer labelling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all, even my shitty pay is much better than anything I can get working in craft beer. I did look into it, but honestly I could have earned more as a checkout chick at Coles and at 35 that's not really an option. Unfortunately my skill set is not really called for in non-academic research all that often, so I am stuck where I am for now.

Just because you love doing something doesn't make it a good business venture, if we took craft brewing as an example there would be far, far more failures than successful craft brewers, as with most business starting up, a high percentage will fail.
Businesses succeed with hard work, a good business plan and an ability to spot the opportunities which present themselves.
I am afraid sentiment isn't a good reason for going into business, most of us have the obligations to our family so as you said schrodinger money does matter and is very necessary.

2 weeks ago I quit my job to move to a new place for the same money, doing basically the same work. Left for a number of reasons. On Friday I turned down an offer of an extra 70 grand to stay where I am.

Money is ******* important, but I decided to change jobs due to ethical, sanity, happiness and career growth issues which 70k wasn't enough to outweigh. The way I was initially treated after I resigned put me in a bad head space as well that I refuse to put up with.

Have I thought about what I could do with the extra money? Absolutely. Did I have any hesitation in turning it down? Absolutely not.

Money is just one part of a very complex equation - probably the most important I'll admit. How much it plays a part in our decisions is unique to all of us and our circumstances at any given time and for that reason I try not to judge people who "sell out" or similar.

GalBrew said:
Unfortunately my skill set is not really called for in non-academic research all that often, so I am stuck where I am for now.
Yeah, same here.

FWIW, scientists do better here than many in the US. I couldn't even support a family of 3 on my salary as a tenured professor in California.

Back