Aabc 2006 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you guys ever give up <_<

They did - the post was from Nov 13!

Personally i think the nationals were a bit disorganised - got my tasting notes last night and promptly threw them in the bin - the score system was totally different to what was used in NSW (ie. BJCP). Actually i should say i promptly threw them in the bin mostly because of my own disgust with my own results - still, not bad for my 2nd AG beer...

Anyway, let sleeping dogs lie shouldn't we!

My scoresheet from the nationals arrived yesterday.

Thanks very much for the work put in. I found the feedback to be clear and consistent and it is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Don't you guys ever give up <_<

The question can also be asked "Why did the NSW organisers run a qualifying competition for entry into the Nationals with styles and catagories that weren't a part of the national comp?" You all knew what the requirements for the Nationals were so why did you go ahead and judge styles that could not qualify?

This is getting pretty tiring, why not put it down to experience and let it lie!

Cheers
Andrew

I agree that what is done is done (and as an aside commenting on posts that are weeks old, asking people to let it go may be a little self defeating).

Perhaps, however; now is the time to look to the future.

I for one; am in favour, if it is practical, of making the nationals as inclusive as possible and allowing brewers to brew whatever style they wish to.

The only limitation that I can see, and perhaps I am wrong - anyone care to comment - is that we need judges who have the ability to judge the style of beers entered.

I look forward to hearing other people ideas and thoughts.

Cheers,

Keith

Andrew as much as I totally agree with you I think you've probably knocked the scab back off the wound. :blink:

Warren -

Andrew as much as I totally agree with you I think you've probably knocked the scab back off the wound. :blink:

Warren -

Warren,

Luv ya work son :D

LOL, that wasn't my intention Warren, it was Docs post today that brought this thread to my attention and I had not seen the posts that I replied to before. It did not even register that they were 2 weeks old, not that it matters much as I would have said the same two weeks ago :D .

Cheers
Andrew

G'day Guys.
As I started this National Competition I thought I should add my bit.
Running these things is a thankless job. You can't please all the people
all the time. Constructive criticism is the best way to help. Attend
meetings and help these guys help you. Commitees DO need to know
what you think but do it without malice. HELP< HELP< HELP !!!!!!
Get a delegation together and put some ideas forward, you have the
forum here.
Off my soapbox now.
Cheers
Colin Penrose :chug:

Good Day
Received my score sheets etc and I wish to thank all involved, I really appreciated the time and effort.

Sorry but Ausbeer is dead and gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some parts of the home brewing industry just
would not back it.
That's life.
Col

Col, (if that's your real name) :lol:

Are you prepared to name names (or pm me off-forum)?

I received a refund when the magazine went down and I was upset. But whattaya do?

Maybe the brewnation is ready for the mag again. Anyhow, I still have my old issues, and hope to read something from La Pensee again one day.

...nah, thanks for the mag, Colin. Do you still have back-issues?

Back to the topic, I received my 3rd place-Strong ale mug yesterday and have christened it with some aged Potters Oktobefestbier this evening. Mmmm, malty and hoppy.
Stil waiting for the judging sheets, out here in the boonies.

Seth :p

I received a refund when the magazine went down and I was upset. But whattaya do?

Maybe the brewnation is ready for the mag again. Anyhow, I still have my old issues, and hope to read something from La Pensee again one day.

Still O/T...

I would think the place to restart a local Brewmag is online. Some free articles and the juicy centrefold "Bock of the Month" via registration or subscription. Could even scale content for membership.
Print is ridiculously expensive. Cyber is ridiculously cheap.

So who's a starter for AHB Brewmag Edition One?

Only way I can get back On Topic is to congratulate one and all on both sides of the comp.
Congrats.
:beerbang:

I just want to say that I think it is fantastic that we have brew comps and people willing to give their time and effort to make these things happen. It gives us (the brewers) a great opportunity to get feedback on our beers and see how a third party ranks them against other beers.

Just want to say "cheers" to everyone who is involved in making these comps happen. It is very much appreciated. :party:

Stagger, that's an awesome result - bloody brilliant :super: :super:

Congrats to all the other place getters as well - Here's hoping Qld has a qualifying comp next year so we can all have a go... B)

Cheers Ross

So, why is there no Qld qualifying comp? What can we do to address this?

...nah, thanks for the mag, Colin. Do you still have back-issues?

Back to the topic, I received my 3rd place-Strong ale mug yesterday and have christened it with some aged Potters Oktobefestbier this evening. Mmmm, malty and hoppy.
Stil waiting for the judging sheets, out here in the boonies.

Seth :p

Col is my real name. I don't hide.
I won't name names for obvious reasons.
I own a brew shop and they are still around.
I don't have back issues, the publisher would have dumped them by now.
Cheers
Col

G'day Col,

I didn't mean to mean offend. I was having a bit of a lark.

It's good to have you on this forum.

Back to the topic tho'. I've heard, both here and off-forum, that the AABC rules were to be changed for the past 3 years to include more beer styles than the current AABC guidelines.
That being said. It could surely be foreseen that after last year's NSW result, that another sour beer was likely to claim a prize in the NSW state titles this year.

I put to it to all right-thinking forumers that a rule could have been passed to allow a State title winning beer to be entered in the AABC; and if not in the correct category (which doesn't yet exist under their rules), at least in the "specialty" styles instead of being fed a tale of "displacing" other people who had justifiably won the right to enter their beer in that category.
Why not allow a qualifying beer to enter the AABC? Surely the beer won on its own merits, and should be allowed to compete in the AABC on those merits? If it doesn't fit a category, make it eligible to enter another category, instead of excluding a potential winner, or "make it bloody-well fit into a category"!

Are these people adults, or petty children? Puerile is a word that comes to miind. Too busy arguing about long-standing disagreements and in-fighting to see the big picture. It's about the brewers, Boys! For without the Amateur Brewers there is no Amateur Brewers Championship.

Are these AABC guys self-appointed or voted in by a quorum or panel of their peers?
Let's not buy into any anti-BJCP sentiment here, but consider that the BJCP "styles" are a little more inclusive ,and can be adapted to our local (or National) comp without adopting the whole BJCP judging structure, and (if I may say so) Boy's Club/Amway infrastructure. So why do we have the same argument for two consecutive years, with a sour beer in the NSW State comp?

As Warren has said before (in more or less, these words, elsewhere on this forum): Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Now I'm a little concerned that my beer has not won on it's own merits, but is a pawn to create disharmony and rancour, sparking another breakaway pseudo-National title, or another potential National title replacement.

AABC reps? anyone?

I hear that NSW has at least one new AABC rep now, as the previous has quit in protest or disgust.

Les (Disaffected Blabbermouth) Weizguy out

So, why is there no Qld qualifying comp? What can we do to address this?

sorry lonte, only just saw your post.
Unfortunately the AABC & the Qld State competetition committee haven't come to an agreement acceptable to both party's - So at the moment we don't have a qualifying comp. To be honest, until something is done which enables EVERY state to enter a national comp, the AABC holds little appeal to me - It's nothing more more than an expanded state comp in it's present form.

cheers Ross

Hi Les,

While I feel for you mate I think putting the blame entirely on the AABA is wrong

Are these AABC guys self-appointed or voted in by a quorum or panel of their peers?

In fact these "AABC guys" are all representatives from the committees of all the State run competitions, no they are not voted in but ARE the only ones who will hold their hands up to be a part of the AABA.
Why don't you become a delegate for NSW? all you have to do is approach your State committee and I am sure they would be happy for your help.

So why do we have the same argument for two consecutive years, with a sour beer in the NSW State comp?

As Warren has said before (in more or less, these words, elsewhere on this forum): Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Why do you assume that just because NSW decided to have this particular catagory the National comp should have it as well.?
Why didn't NSW learn from the previous years mistake that the catagory being discussed was not a part of the AABC and drop the catagory for this years competition to bring their comp in line with the AABC???

The rules for the AABC were very rigorously debated over some months and ALL state officials were aware of them, putting the blame entirely on the AABA is just unfair, after all, it was the State comp that disregarded the AABC catagories in favour of their own.

I am sorry that you were unable to recieve the recognition you deserved by entering the AABC but in all fairness I think you should also be pointing your finger at the State organisers as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Les,

I understand and sympathise with the frustration and angst that you have experienced with your Berliner Weiss.

I too am for a competition that is as inclusive as possible, and when it gets down to it I think the BJCP provides a fairly comprehensive model that with a few Australian tweaks could work well.

My earlier post in this thread was designed to elicit constructive suggestions for moving forward and to get a feel for what the people out there in the brewing land would like to see happen with THEIR state and national comps.

The reason for my interest is that I recently stuck up my hand to act as a rep for NSW on the AABC committee.

Stuster kicked off a new thread that I think we should use to discuss this issue further:

And I would encourage as many people as possible to voice an opinion, these comps are for us, the brewers, if you don't speak up then no one is going to know what you want.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

Fair points, Andrew. It seems better that the categories for the National and State comps should be the same, reducing the government as Warren suggested. As I suggested in the other thread on this, why not just use the BJCP categories? Combine categories if necessary to cut down the number of flights to judge. Standardise it absolutely, but all beers should be included. Why not have a specialty beer category, cat 23? It appears that brewing in Australia is changing. I don't expect judges to be able to second guess what brewers are going to brew, but including such a category would avoid this problem.

It would also help to avoid another issue that arose this year concerning one of my beers among others. My beer was an American Rye and it could have been judged with the Australian wheat beers without much of a drama (it wouldn't have done that well anyway, but I'm thinking more for the future). I was told this was not acceptable because then there would be four NSW entries in that category. However, in most comps you get different numbers of entries in each category. The organisers in other comps don't reject entries after they get a certain number for each category and I can't see much difference personally.

Enough ramble. Hopefully a constructive waffle rather than critical. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back