Aaaaaagghhhh Its Absolute Crap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never tasted anything decent out of Mexico yet, apart from genuine tequila with the worm in the bottom. That was more like a trip than a drunk session.

Mexican food is a good example. Indian Restaurants are run by Indians, Chinese restaurants are full of Chinese. My favourite sushi stall in the Valley, amazingly is run by genuine Japs. The guy at the Mongolian BBQ you wouldn't want to annoy or he'd impale you and set you up on the North side of the Great Wall to taunt the Chinese.

If anyone can show me a Mexican Restaurant actually run by Mexicans and not unemployable Australian Bogans who think Sol Trujillo is a recipe please enlighten me.

I think Sol (beer) is in the same category as Aldi complete Burrito pack serves 2.

try negra modelo

Most Mexican beer is piss.... Corona, Tecate, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, even Dos Eques Lager.
The only one I ever found decently drinkable Is Dos Equis Ambar.

No wonder most of the Mexicans I knew in the states drank either Coors Light or Bud Light...
they wanted some flavour!

I do miss Mexican food in the states.... made by Mexicans!

Thanks to a xmas gift box of world beers I have 1 stubbie of Sol in the fridge. I'm really keen to try it now :D
Just for educational purposes of course.

I just had a go a the Sol.

In the words of the Simpson's mob boss:
"What did I do to deserve this flat, flavourless manhatten?"

The kindest thing I can say is its dry. Its also flat, and flavourless, and as the OP stated crap.

Cheers,
Jake

we tried SOL after the 20/20 game on boxing day, was awful. never again. :icon_vomit:

Just drink it at 1C QUICKLY (and chase with tequila or mescal to rinse away any residual Mexican donkey piss flavours).

EDIT: Also, it's still better than TED.

told him i was the current NSW state brewing champ (at the time) and if he thought i was going to put that shit in my mouth he would be better off asking the queen mum to smoke a joint!

a) Despite the ABC Xmas Massages..she is dead.
B) Her late husbands grandmother was a regular user.
c) Why the dolt would you want to smoke beer anyway, unless you were Bambergian
d) Negro Modelo is very nice.

K

I have been following this thread and was not going to reply - but unfortunately the 'fear & loathing' has got too much to bear :icon_cheers:

What everyone is missing is that this beer is made from whole hops and and packaged in a clear bottle. This is the ideal conditions for ensuring that every beer from this part of the world is served skunked.

I attended a 'Sensory Evaluation of Beer' course earlier in the year and we looked at Skunked and Unskunked Corona. The unskunked one was simply taken directly from the carton while the skunked samples were taken from the fridge at a local bottle'o. It was pointed out that the brewers at these breweries know all about the effects of light on beers served in clear bottles, but they continue to do it on purpose for 3 good reasons:

- People tend to drink these beers direct from the bottle, hence the sensory effects of the light strike is minimised (it is more aroma than flavour),
- A wedge of lime is usually stuffed in the neck of the bottle masking the flavour even further,
- People associate the 'skunk' flavour as 'that imported taste'.

The unskunked Corona was a very nice, malty beer. The skunked was, well, Corona as we know it.

BTW, Negro Modelo is a world class Vienna style lager served in a brown bottle.

HTH,

BF

- People associate the 'skunk' flavour as 'that imported taste'.

Indeed. The number of times my brother (non-beer geek despite my best efforts) has served me skunked green bottle lagers that he picked up cheap. If I had a dollar for every foul Grolsch he's served me, I'd have enough to buy a six pack of JSGA. Yet the best beer I ever made (IIPA 8%, 75 or so IBU) was received by him as "mixed with vodka or something". If the people keep buying it, they'll keep bringing it.

I had my first Corona in years at my work Xmas just for kicks... ugh! I didn't think it tasted skunked, just weak and watery with a micro-pinch of clinically clean hops somewhere in there. Maybe it was designed for those that put ice in their beers on a hot day, so you couldn't tell either way.

Interesting comments about the skunking. The only time I ever drank Corona was about eighteen? years ago, it wasn't in a bar but a six pack I bought at the local bottlo where you had to go in and get the sixer out of the carton in the cold room yourself - that was in the days before local shopping centre bottlos in Queensland and nearly all take out liquor had to be bought from a pub drive through or liquor barn and if you wanted something special you had to dig it out yourself. They didn't bother with fancy displays like today because they didn't have any opposition due to a long history of State corruption (Hinze, Bjelke Petersen etc don't get me going)

It struck me at the time that considering it came from a country bordering the USA it was distinctly better than the Budweiser, Miller, Schlitz etc which are appalling, and even had a smack of hops about it.

Might try one ONLY sol and sneak one out of the cold room at the Liquorland. :icon_cheers:

Rule number one - dont buy any beer in a clear bottle. Simple really!

Bribie, i don't see much difference between a well known telco boss and a said bottle of beer, both are tasteless, ineffective at quenching a thirst or making broadband faster.... but then that's another story... :)

hmmm. mexican beers seem like South East Asia beers (and fags). Singa / Tiger. great on holidays, but dont bring them home with ya.
(surely some joke here about that nasty rash?)

i've only had one negative report back on my homebrews, and it was from a work mate who only drinks corona.
he reckoned the IPA and wheat longnecks i gave him were "too thick, to strongly flavoured" and he reckoned the yeast sediment made him shit like a big black dog.

'nother work mate (from england) is trying to get me to sell him a mixed crate of longies 'cause(he says) it's the best beer he's had since he got to Australia (up there with Little Creatures / James Squire) - i keep telling him i'll help him brew and bottle but i won't sell him a crate. pommy git :)

All a matter of taste I suppose. Personally I positively dislike James Squire Golden Ale. Had a few pints at UNE at Armidale a couple of years ago and couldn't come at a strongly flavoured yet ice cold and fizzy orange coloured ale. Tasted just plain wrong and somehow cloying / unrefreshing to my Pom Palate. I admit to actually liking Melbourne Bitter and always go for it when I'm out. I've just about cracked a recipe that produces something very similar - yes including the 30 % sugar. However I agree about the holiday thing. Got magnificently plastered on Singha and Amarit in Thailand and tried a Singha the other day, rather disappointing.

I had Sol once, made Corona taste heavenly in comparisson......

Back