Aaaaaagghhhh Its Absolute Crap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard it reviewed " Like running through the valley of Death then wringing out your jock strap" sounds right to me. But have you ever tried making a beer without any body or perceivable taste.Dam hard.
GB

I've never tasted anything decent out of Mexico yet, apart from genuine tequila with the worm in the bottom. That was more like a trip than a drunk session.

Mexican food is a good example. Indian Restaurants are run by Indians, Chinese restaurants are full of Chinese. My favourite sushi stall in the Valley, amazingly is run by genuine Japs. The guy at the Mongolian BBQ you wouldn't want to annoy or he'd impale you and set you up on the North side of the Great Wall to taunt the Chinese.

If anyone can show me a Mexican Restaurant actually run by Mexicans and not unemployable Australian Bogans who think Sol Trujillo is a recipe please enlighten me.
Total off topic and it wasn't run by actual factual Mexicans (althought it is in Melbourne) but there is a place in East Brunswick on Lygon street that's a cut above the average Taco Bills. I did have a very nice Mexican beer and an excellent meal there. I can't remember the name of the restaurant or the beer , I did also sample some of the Tequillas they had as well :)

Total off topic and it wasn't run by actual factual Mexicans (althought it is in Melbourne)

No, you aren't Mexicans.
The New South Welsh are Mexicans.

You are their Mexicans :lol:

You did almost completely colonise Hervey Bay of course so you are really honorary Queenslanders.

I recall trying Sol a few years back along side of Cantina(sp?) which was also this 'new' Central American beer. The latter seemed somewhat malty, whilst Sol pretty much reminded me of Corona.

It appears Cantina is made in El Salvador.

OK here's the good oil, from Roger Protz's "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer" loaned to me by The Big Burper:

[Modelo] is best known today for Corona, the beer tht spawned the Mexican lager and lime craze. Like its competitor Sol , Corona has been around for decades, and was a bottom of the range product made cheaply for poor peasants and industrial workers. It comes in an utilitarian plain glass bottle with an embossed label. it is around 40 percent rice in its recipe and a low hop rate that creates around 10 to 12 IBUs. Served extremely cold, it is a refreshing drink for those engaged in hard manual labour, which is more than could be said for the well-heeled young Americans on surfing holidays.
They took up the beer with enthusiasm and extolled its peasant-cum-worker attributes when they returned to California or Manhattan - an attitude known as 'prollier than thou'. It was Americans who added lime to the beer, which caused amusement and consternation in Mexico, although sad to say the habit has now been taken up there as well.

Nuff said :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK here's the good oil, from Roger Protz's "Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer" loaned to me by The Big Burper:

[Modelo] is best known today for Corona, the beer tht spawned the Mexican lager and lime craze. Like its competitor Sol , Corona has been around for decades, and was a bottom of the range product made cheaply for poor peasants and industrial workers. It comes in an utilitarian plain glass bottle with an embossed label. it is around 40 percent rice in its recipe and a low hop rate that creates around 10 to 12 IBUs. Served extremely cold, it is a refreshing drink for those engaged in hard manual labour, which is more than could be said for the well-heeled young Americans on surfing holidays.
They took up the beer with enthusiasm and extolled its peasant-cum-worker attributes when they returned to California or Manhattan - an attitude known as 'prollier than thou'. It was Americans who added lime to the beer, which caused amusement and consternation in Mexico, although sad to say the habit has now been taken up there as well.

Hahahaha.....thats a great blurb. :D

The lime was not meant to gain taste, the lime was basically to clean the neck of the bottle befor drinking the beer.

As BribieG wrote, "...made cheaply for poor peasants and industrial workers". The bottles have been very dusty the most of time and as the beer got drunk out the bottle, they had to clean the bottle neck first. The lime got ditched.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

ahem.....I love my Corona Clone....

No, you aren't Mexicans.
The New South Welsh are Mexicans.

You are their Mexicans :lol:

You did almost completely colonise Hervey Bay of course so you are really honorary Queenslanders.

I beg to differ BribieG. Mexico is closer to the equator than the USA, and following that logic, that makes you our Mexicans. :icon_cheers:

I'm going to steal that quote for another forum. Thanks!

I had my first Corona in ages before SWMBO's work Xmas party and granted it was chasing 4 Little Creatures Pilsners, I actually found it not that bad. It was quite malty and drinkable.

I had my first Corona in ages before SWMBO's work Xmas party and granted it was chasing 4 Little Creatures Pilsners, I actually found it not that bad. It was quite malty and drinkable.

Malty? That might be the 10 IBUs talking.

I recall trying Sol a few years back along side of Cantina(sp?) which was also this 'new' Central American beer. The latter seemed somewhat malty, whilst Sol pretty much reminded me of Corona.

A friend of mine drinks Cantina.... it's not to bad on a 42 deg1ree day I was drinking it (Australia Day, 2 years ago) ... Sol has this taste I can't explain kind of tastes like there is a shot of tequila in it....

i was in dan murphys today and carona was flying out the door everyone was buying it but me picked up myself a carton of wicked elf pale ale just having a little sample now mmmm tasty

on tuesday a mate and i decided to sample a few old favorites and a couple of "newies down at the local bottlo, kicked it off wit a c ouple of grolshs (ain't nothing wrong with a belgian thats been well treated) and then we cracked open the "newie" which was Tui east india pale ale, this thing seriuously trumps sol a nd corona in the crap beer stakes, frankly a a blind deaf man with no taste buds could brew something better using nothing more than canal water and hops that had passed through an especially old dog. by the third can (we payed for it so let's not waste it thinking kicked in) it was like drinking soda water that had a rusty nail sitting in the bottom. frankly id have the corona or the sol over that horrible swill.

id rather drink fermented engine oil frankly.

Not quite sure why anyone expects something special from Tui.....it's not a micro brew, it's just another VERY mainstream mega-brewed beer - it's not exactly brewed to 'wow' anyone, it's brewed to get uni students pissed and provide something to attach some very funny and clever marketing campaigns to......yes it's not the best, but it shits all over fosters.......:D

Try you-tubing some of the Tui TV adds etc while drinking it, you'll laugh so much you won't care what it tastes like (which is what us Kiwi's tend to do when we're drinking it - usually at someone else's expense :lol:)

Not quite sure why anyone expects something special from Tui.....it's not a micro brew, it's just another VERY mainstream mega-brewed beer - it's not exactly brewed to 'wow' anyone, it's brewed to get uni students pissed and provide something to attach some very funny and clever marketing campaigns to......yes it's not the best, but it shits all over fosters.......:D

Try you-tubing some of the Tui TV adds etc while drinking it, you'll laugh so much you won't care what it tastes like (which is what us Kiwi's tend to do when we're drinking it - usually at someone else's expense :lol:)

Yep, That ad of the chicks working in the brewery is a classic! :icon_chickcheers:

I'm "tempted" to go try a Sol to see what all the fuss is about. But I might wait for my lime tree to finish it's next crop. I think I'll be needing a wedge after the first sip.

It is possible to make Sol a worse beer to drink. i have a mate who swears by it, however a few bottles into a session, he has a habit of tipping half a scoop of gatorade powder (the red one i think) down the neck of it. He does this every couple of bottles and swears it prevents hang overs. :icon_vomit:

Personally i much rather drink better brews, that taste, and if a hang over arrives the next day, so be it!! :party:

It is possible to make Sol a worse beer to drink. i have a mate who swears by it, however a few bottles into a session, he has a habit of tipping half a scoop of gatorade powder (the red one i think) down the neck of it. He does this every couple of bottles and swears it prevents hang overs. :icon_vomit:
He should do it to every bottle. At least there would be some flavour. :lol:

Latest posts

Back