A Yeast That's Good For Temp Of 25 Degrees

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
Getting a little sick of drinking cidery flavoured beer and reading threads and books for hours and hours! Pretty sure all my cleanliness is OK so could anyone give a simple answer as to if there is a yeast that works well at 25 degrees?

The above temp I can maintain OK but anything lower is a nightmare. Is there such a yeast or should I surrender myself to buying a fermentation fridge for my one bedroom apartment which already has 2 fridges!!!

I'm only starting out so am not after perfect beer, just sick of the cider taste.

Wish I liked Strongbow....

Wyeast 3724! (Can't recall the equivalent WLP number.) 25C is on the cool end of what it likes, and it makes great saisons.

Pistol Patch. I'd use safale and keep reading.When the beer gets better you'll be able to convince youself you need another fridge.We have 5 fridges & 3 chesties,only 1 for food. Good luck.
Cheers Glenn.

One of the national department store place thingies (I forget which) sells a 100-can collapsible cooler bag that makes an effective cooler for your fermenter with the use of a few ice bottles. And when you're done fermenting, you can collapse it right down for storage.

There has been a topic on here before, do a search and you might find it.

Did someone say wheat beer?

I find no cidery flavours in wheat beers fermented at 25C. Plenty of esters and some phenolics, depending on the yeast/ recipe.

Other options include Coopers dry yeast from a kit or liquid yeast recultured from the bottle. Seems to get the job done OK.

Saison is good too, but may be a bit dry/tart if U don't like cider flavour. Not that it's cidery, but it has a dry aftertaste like a cider.

Last option is the dry US-56 yeast. Usually quite cider-free at higher temps. Just don't leave it on the yeast too long when it's warm or you'll be drinking (or more likely flushing your drains with) acetone flavoured beer. U can also use this yeast for American wheat beers. Useful coz this style suits most Aussie wheat kits. Just add 1kg liquid malt extract, US56 and 14g + of Willamette, Cascade or any flavour hop that U like.

As mentioned at the outset, I recommend a wheat beer. Nice taste, easy to brew and quick turnover. Only problem is...is...not sure if there is one. Maybe if you want to try a lot of hop combinations, you might have to wait a week between batches. Hard luck story, I know.

Sethule Von Weizguy :p

P.P, Just to clarify.What concentrates,and more importantly what are you using as your booster with it.Cidery flavas I have always associated with sucrose etc....

Having said that weiz guys wheat recipe with a true weizen strain would be the go,or try the coopers reculture in a wheat.Certainly fruity(read estery) @ those temps but I never found it cidery in the early days of brewing b4 temp control.

Second what Malnourished says. :beerbang:

Wyeast Saison strain will ferment at 25 to +30c temps. In fact below 25 it goes sluggish. You'll get a very nice, complex beer this way. :super:

Warren -

Do a nice big Belgian. Apparently Chimay is brewed at 29 degrees for at least part of its ferment.

Wyeast 3522 = White Labs 550 (I think) = La Chouffe

I know the Brasserie D'Achouffe ferments at 26C, and I have had great results with this yeast at similar temperatures. So I would suggest this one if you want to brew a Belgian ale. Just offering this as an alternative to the other good suggestions in this thread.

Having said that, I am not convinced that cidery flavours are a result of a higher fermentation temp. I thought they were due to using old malt extract cans. Its a bit hard to tell exactly what the problem is because really "cidery flavours" covers quite a bit of ground. It could also be acetaldehyde, which smells like green apples. If thats the case, I would suggest you just leave the beer to condition for longer. If you intend to mean cidery = sour/acidic, then I would say you might have an infection in the brewery.
But as I said, cidery is usually attributed to old extract cans.

Berp.

My goodness! Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lots of stuff to think on here. I want to brew today so have spun a bottle and it's landed on the Wyeast Saison 3724 suggestion so I'll give that a go and post the result back in a few weeks.

Have just been using kits like Morgans Canadian Light, Blue Mountain etc with Brew Boosters and a few hops. Also going to use bleach this time instead of Metabisulphide.

Good on ya Prof. Pils! 8 to 1 beer to food ratio on refrigeration. Perfect!

Thanks again to all of you. :beerbang:

Just another suggestion if I may. :unsure:

If you're going to do a Belgian and ferment at higher than normal temps. Don't pitch high! :excl: This is where part of the trouble stems from with the fusels and other high ferm. byproducts.

Pitch at normal temps. Around 18-20 and let the fermenter warm up over 24-48 hours. In other words just let the thing warm itself up over high krausen and try and keep it warm until fermentation subsides.

You'll find most of the damage is done at pitching. ;)

Ditto the Ardennes yeast. Best all-round for Belgians. ;)

Warren -

Kai said:
One of the national department store place thingies (I forget which) sells a 100-can collapsible cooler bag that makes an effective cooler for your fermenter with the use of a few ice bottles. And when you're done fermenting, you can collapse it right down for storage.

There has been a topic on here before, do a search and you might find it.
[post="101929"][/post]​

This is a good idea. Jgriffin used a similar cooler tube, which held a whole fermenter and zipped up, to insulate it. There was enough room to put in a couple of 3L frozen water bottles, which more than did the trick in a Brisbane summer. This way you get to use any ale yeast you want!

Cheers - Snow

Yet more good suggestions! Didn't know that Warren about the pitching, though I have been pitching at 22 so hopefully haven't done too much damage.

So much for brewing today. Went to homebrew shop and they hadn't even heard of Wyeast!!! Bit suss about some of these shops. Asked about a kettle yesterday at another shop and he asked why I wanted to boil my equipment!!! No wonder beginners like myself get bewildered!

Anyway, anyone know how I can purchase Wyeast? (Gold Coast, QLD)

In my searches also came across an interesting table of yeasts and theirs temperature ranges etc. It seems that, as suggested before Wyeast Saison 3724 and Coopers are possibilities. Also Wyeast Bierre De Garde. Thanks again all and here's the link to the table...

http://byo.com/referenceguide/yeaststrains/index.html

PistolPatch said:
Yet more good suggestions! Didn't know that Warren about the pitching, though I have been pitching at 22 so hopefully haven't done too much damage.

So much for brewing today. Went to homebrew shop and they hadn't even heard of Wyeast!!! Bit suss about some of these shops. Asked about a kettle yesterday at another shop and he asked why I wanted to boil my equipment!!! No wonder beginners like myself get bewildered!

Anyway, anyone know how I can purchase Wyeast? (Gold Coast, QLD)

Go here great service usually 4 days delivery to SEQ, check if any of the yeast you want is in the past use-by stock. It always fires but is half price, set aside a few days to step it upand you will have splits to use with further brews, great yeast and a bargain too!

Cheers Screwtop. Have been away for a few days but just emailed Grain and Grape about the Saison and bier de Garde as they didn't have them listed on their site.

Have decided to amuse myself in the meantime by making a starter from a Cooper's stubby which has lead to reading another billion posts and articles on yeast propogation.... Maybe I better get a stir plate...

I think I'm definitely heading down the slippery slope of homebrewing! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back