A Two Can Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchbrew76

Reaction score
ok have an idea for a two can with ingredients i have laying around, would love some thoughts on the recipe...

recipe: 1.7kg coopers draught can
1.7kg tooheys special draught can
.5kg amber dry malt
cascade hops tea bag
safale us05 yeast

boil up the two cans mix in malt turn off heat throw in hops to steep for 10 mins put whole lot into fermenter add water to 23 litres
and add yeast when temp right.... :beer:

I would boil the hops in 5L water with the .5 amber malt. For 10 min.

Empty the kits in to the fermenter, pour the boiled malt and hops into, and mix, top up, Ferment at 18deg.

Bottle when complete, wait 3 weeks, Enjoy.

I would boil the hops in 5L water with the .5 amber malt. For 10 min.

Empty the kits in to the fermenter, pour the boiled malt and hops into, and mix, top up, Ferment at 18deg.

Bottle when complete, wait 3 weeks, Enjoy.

cool will try that...

Yeah no need to boil the cans.

How much hops you thinking of using? You could boil up about 30g Cascade for 10 minutes with the amber. Then dry hop with another 30g Cascade. Give a bit of hop flavour to go along with the malt and bitterness.

Hey, let us know how you go with this one as it sounds good!

Yeah no need to boil the cans.

How much hops you thinking of using? You could boil up about 30g Cascade for 10 minutes with the amber. Then dry hop with another 30g Cascade. Give a bit of hop flavour to go along with the malt and bitterness.

tea bag is 15g but if lhbs has cascade pellets may dry hop (something new to try B) )

Hey, let us know how you go with this one as it sounds good!
will do tom (it's a variaton of a recipe i found in a book a while back)

tea bag is 15g but if lhbs has cascade pellets may dry hop (something new to try B) )

I would suggest boil some of the hops say the 15-30grams for 20mins to get some flavour and aroma in a wort of around 1040 for hops utilisation. Then if you want to add some real hop aroma punch do some dry hopping. Dry hopping will give you an aroma punch but little flavour. With a 2 can you want to balance ALL those malts with some fresh flavour and a punch of aroma. Cans can be a little one dimensional with what they deliver IMHO.

Good luck

Chap Chap

part one done.... boiled 15g hops with Amber malt for 15-20 mins (took hop pellets out of tea bag) added that to the two cans in the fermenter and made up to 23L pitched yeast at 22 deg.... smells soooo good. :p

now seeing as dry hopping is new to me when is the best time to do this

After primary ferment has finished. Vigorous fermentation will drive away a lot of the aromatics. Dry hops left in too long can lead to grassy flavours, depending on the hop (I've found it with saaz). I don't dry hop that often but I usually do it around 5 days before I want to bottle.

After primary ferment has finished. Vigorous fermentation will drive away a lot of the aromatics. Dry hops left in too long can lead to grassy flavours, depending on the hop (I've found it with saaz). I don't dry hop that often but I usually do it around 5 days before I want to bottle.

thanks will try this :icon_cheers:

well it's been two weeks in the bottle and i've cracked the first one tonight. I would liken it to an IPA and I will now leave it mature for another month
has plenty of potential :icon_cheers:

Back