A Quick Oztops Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Hello

I opened my first batch of oztops the other day and there was a gigantic yeast monster that when released from his cossy little bottle gushed out of the bottle engulfing my hand and tried to take over the kitchen sink, luckily he was subdued by some quick hot water released from the tap. Is this because either......

1. I used to much yeast.
2. I used the wrong kind of juice (apple and mango preservative free).
3. I brewed them in 1.25L coke bottles.
4. I used half a cup of sugar.

Thanks guys

Mark

:party:

The caps for PET bottles are the high pressure caps; you should have chilled the brew down before you opened the bottle.

Same as for any other carbonated bottle of beer or soft drink.

MHB

I chilled it down to 3deg first and than opened it.....

The caps for PET bottles are the high pressure caps; you should have chilled the brew down before you opened the bottle.

Same as for any other carbonated bottle of beer or soft drink.

MHB

Well you got me there; maybe Mango is a great source of head improving agents.

It is also possible that the brew was just highly carbonated, leaving it in the fridge for a couple of days might help - as they caps are vented the pressure will slowly fall.

I sell a fair few OzTops and think they are a great product, very few people have had any problems with them - so if you work out what happened I would like to know.

MHB

Just a thought:-
Have a look at the cap that gave you the problem, see if the little cut in the silicon washer is neat and goes straight through.
If it's not a neat cut you could be getting too much pressure.

M

MHB

I just read back through the instructions, and realised that all the measurements are taken off a 2L bottle as all i had at the time was 1.25L bottles so i used 2L measurements for 1.25L. I am a fool and my misses keeps telling me to read instructions properly, ie television setup, buliding things in the garden. So sorry for the wasted time

Mark

I used half a cup of sugar.

Mark ,

When I have made cider with the OZ tops I have not used sugar , and have had no problems

my suggestion ---

no extra sugar

use the bottle the juice comes in 2l , drink one glass to reduce the volume and to give space

add yeast and ferment

taste after 3 days , and then to determine what you want your final sweetness to be

Rod

You shouldn't have a problem with adding an extra 1/2 cup of sugar to a 1.25L bottle... I did the same thing, no problem at all...The directions say you can add up to a cup of sugar per 2L... only thing I can think it would be is not enough head space, not enough surface area on the top of the cider for the gas to escape.

I made an apple and mango one too. haven't tried it yet... looks a bit chunky on top. I think I'll have to strain it.

I've done quite a few apple and mango brews and it's one of my favourites. I add 1 cup of raw sugar as well and have never had a problem. I always use slightly less yeast than recommended though :)

I've done quite a few apple and mango brews and it's one of my favourites. I add 1 cup of raw sugar as well and have never had a problem. I always use slightly less yeast than recommended though

do you get any chunky floaties?? if not which brand do you use??

I wouldn't call them floaties, but there's usually a fair amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottle that is easily stirred up if you aren't careful. I haven't noticed any effect on the taste.

I get my apple & mango from Aldi; it's the cheapest one.

Back