A Question On Fermenting Procedures.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilinggilroy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Have a question on fermenting procedures..........

With my ales, when fermenting seems to stop (3 readings), I will gently rock the fermenter and leave on the yeast cake for a few extra days (aprox. 5).
Still checking readings and sampling in this time. I may get 1 or 2 points out of it and have been told it helps clear the beer.

The main question is should I be doing the same with fruit concoction brews ?? (ie:- Hard Lemonades, Citrus-ades, Dark Grape Juice and even Cider.)
Was wondering if any unwanted flavours etc. could come from sitting on the yeast cake those extra days and whether secondary racking would be more
beneficial or the better way to go?
All advice appreciated,
Cheers

I have heard that leaving the beer on the yeast cake for a short period after ferment can allow the yeast to clean up unwanted flavours produced during fermentation.

If your finding that agitating your brew will drop it a few more gravity points, then racking should do the same if not more, to rouse the yeast back into suspension and allow it to work that little bit extra at eating up those sugars. But that's taking it off the yeast cake

There's a lot of discussion whether racking to secondary fermentation is beneficial for the brew, but people would be happy to agree that it can help a stuck fermentation by rousing the yeast.

If you're getting more points out of them then they aren't done prior to that so yes, you should be getting those last couple of point fermented before bottling (less important with kegging but still advisable, IMO).

In the more general terms of your question - no, I don't think 5 days is going to promote off flavours in your ciders etc. It can only be of benefit really but if you are worried have a think about racking to secondary instead - get it off the primary yeast cake, possibly squeeze out those last couple points and still condition in the fermenter a little longer. But as I say I don't think the primary cake is going to do anything terrible in five days (assuming circumstances are all acceptable).

Where are you fermenting? Ambient temperature or temp controlled fridge? Having frozen my butt off at Berrima on many occasions :rolleyes: then if you are just fermenting in the laundry etc I would certainly leave it for a good long primary. With the fruity concoctions it also depends how active the yeast has been and how well it has attenuated. For example a brew with good yeast nutrient properties would ferment out quicker than other brews with less goodness to sustain the yeast (mead is an example that springs to mind) and to be on the safe side I'd give them all an extra week as long as they are well sealed up.

Where are you fermenting? Ambient temperature or temp controlled fridge? Having frozen my butt off at Berrima on many occasions :rolleyes: then if you are just fermenting in the laundry etc I would certainly leave it for a good long primary. With the fruity concoctions it also depends how active the yeast has been and how well it has attenuated. For example a brew with good yeast nutrient properties would ferment out quicker than other brews with less goodness to sustain the yeast (mead is an example that springs to mind) and to be on the safe side I'd give them all an extra week as long as they are well sealed up.

Hi BribieG,
Have 4 independent heat controlled boxes that a 30lt fermenter fits nicely into.
Am using the kitchen area of the granny flat ("the shacK") but still gets bloody cold in there.
Cheers

Back