A Question About Gelatin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrad

Reaction score
I've read about adding gelatin to the fermenter before bottling, which in theory takes particulates and yeast to the bottom of the vessel and therefore gives a clearer beer.

Would this removal of yeast from most of the beer limit the amount of fermentation that happens when it's bottled? I'd rather have cloudy beer than flat beer.

I've read about adding gelatin to the fermenter before bottling, which in theory takes particulates and yeast to the bottom of the vessel and therefore gives a clearer beer.

Would this removal of yeast from most of the beer limit the amount of fermentation that happens when it's bottled? I'd rather have cloudy beer than flat beer.

I wouldn't put gelatine in bottles, people mainly add it to their kegs.

So I shouldn't use it at all if I'm bottling? I would add it to the fermenter before bottling.

I have in the past used it before bottling but now I just let it sit in primary for a few days longer. I don't think the difference is that great to warrant using it but nor did it have a detrimental effect on carbonation in my experience.

Cheers,

microbe

It might help to make your beer a little clearer, and it almost certainly wont hurt. There will still be plenty of yeast left in the beer to carbonate your bottles.

I have in the past run my beer through a 1 micron absolute filter - this gives you beer that to the eye is diamond bright - but if you put it into bottles with some priming sugar, it will carbonate.

Even very very clear beer has millions of yeast cells in it, plenty to do the carbing up thing. It might take a little longer, but it will get there eventually.

Give it a go, your beer will be fine and you can decide for yourself if the effort was worth the result.

Thirsty

It might help to make your beer a little clearer, and it almost certainly wont hurt. There will still be plenty of yeast left in the beer to carbonate your bottles.

I have in the past run my beer through a 1 micron absolute filter - this gives you beer that to the eye is diamond bright - but if you put it into bottles with some priming sugar, it will carbonate.

Even very very clear beer has millions of yeast cells in it, plenty to do the carbing up thing. It might take a little longer, but it will get there eventually.

Give it a go, your beer will be fine and you can decide for yourself if the effort was worth the result.

Thirsty

I agree , I've used gelatine for years into a secondary fermenter for a week then bottles or keg. The bottles carbonate just as quickly as no gelatine usually in 2 weeks if the weather is warmish.
The only way to really eliminate the yeast altogether is to filter & then pasturise which kills them off along with some flavour & aroma compounds.

Lagers

Back