A Perfect Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
  • Lovely fine day - check
  • Beautiful starter of Wyeast 3068 - check
  • Cracked grains for a Heffe - check
  • First ever three rest infusion (glucanase, protein, sacc) working to perfection- check
  • Good rolling boil - check
  • Some lovely tetnang plugs from Ross - check
  • Bloody whole hop flowers from tetnang plugs clogging pickup tube - *sigh* check
  • Double bloody hop flowers clogging siphon tube - check
  • Me pulling wort out of kettle with hastily sanitised jug - *groan* check
  • An inch of hop flowers and crud floating in my fermenter - check.
Oh well. Nearly a perfect brew day.

And the beer is tasting fantastic. Is it wrong to be deeply in love with WY3068?

Ahh.... been there, done that, got the beerbelly hopscreen as a souvenir! :icon_cheers:

Ahh.... been there, done that, got the beerbelly hopscreen as a souvenir! :icon_cheers:

QUOTE OF THE YEAR! :lol:

250G's + of hop pellets used in a 65L batch just this weekend with a beerbelly hopscreen....most crystal clear wort ive ever seen.

I recently had the same trouble with some of my home grown hops. Clogged the outlet, then also clogged the racking hose that I was syphoning with (while simultaneously burning the crap out of my hands!). Reaffirmed my previous decision to stick with pellets! Although I recently got some great hop bags with a nice open wieve. Perfect for flowers so I'll be using these in the future! That beerbelly hopscreen does sound pretty cool though...

Never had a problem with the BB hopscreen.. money well spent.. pity i cant say the same about my mash tun....

I'm loosing too much heat... i have now insulated the headspace with high desity foam (as the esky lid didnt have any insulation), but its still dropping a couple of degrees over an hour.. i think my problem is there is too much surface area. I have one of those 47L coleman wide base eskies (simply because it had the flattest base) but i might have to look into getting a deeper but narrower esky (maybe one of those round rubbermaid bastards).

the BB false bottom however is great... never had a stuck sparge..

biab6.JPG

It's the coarser mesh one and I tell you what those hops get a good poundin' in the boil. Nothing woosie about a hop bag IMHO

I recently had the same trouble with some of my home grown hops. Clogged the outlet, then also clogged the racking hose that I was syphoning with (while simultaneously burning the crap out of my hands!). Reaffirmed my previous decision to stick with pellets!

This was my problem - My system is all set up for pellet hops. Pickup tube off to the side of the kettle, a quick whirlpool to settle the crud and crystal clear wort into the fermenter. Never used whole flowers or plugs before...

Still. I shall know better next time.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back