A New Brewing Subculture "death Ghetto"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
I'm building up a mill for a local brewer who shall remain nameless. He gave me his old home made job that had fixed rollers in a wooden frame that was not working real well and seeing the rollers were S/S and pretty well made, I salvaged them and built up an adjustable mill on a custom stand and had got to the point of needing a motor to drive it. "I'll bring my old motor around" he said. "We can set it up temporary until I can get hold of a decent one. "Fine" I said. Anyhow a few days later the brewer brought his motor around and I was gobsmacked. I could not believe that a supposedly sane person used this thing to drive a mill. To me it was repugnant, but the ingenuity behind the construction was brilliant. To me it looked like something I'd build in Fallout 3 to sneak up behind people and tear their spines out. The lack of precision in the construction combined with a total lack of OH&S and self preservation in the design took my breath away and lead me to come up with a new phrase, Death Ghetto, for the savant brewer who either is a cock eyed optomist or is not too fussed about being around to taste his next brew.

As they say a picture paints 1000 words

mill1.JPG
The way it worked is it pivoted where the all thread is and you pulled on the timber to get tension on the belt to drive the mill pulley. Intrinsically safe? Who needs it!

pivot.JPG
Notice the precision

switch.JPG
Death Ghetto does not allow you to fix a switch in position nor use any form of protection from electric shock

pulley_1.JPG
Pulley does not fit? bash it on with a hammer!

pully1.JPG
Death Ghetto states "nothing may run true.

In all seriousness, while this thing belongs in a museum of some kind, I berated the brewer about how lucky he is to still be alive, but still, in a survival situation, I reckon he would be handy to havearound.

cheers

Browndog

Good work on the berating Browndog, as that electrical work is not even slightly dodgy, but highly dangerous.

Makes a 'Bucket of death' look like A1 electrical work.

Browndog you are truly a man born outside his time :beerbang:

BallistaPortraitRear.jpg

Come the Zombie apocalypse dips that dude is on my team.

Even if he doesn't survive at least there won't be any remnants to turn Zombie.

I still cannot see why they banned home wiring jobs in Australia :lol:

QldKev

that brilliant browndog. as so many have stated here before, the inginuity and engineering skill here is amazing. the effort and skill that some people will put into their brew gear. but the flip side of make do with whats to hand is often inspiring. then there is the flip-flip side: that dangerous world of the home hack. i mean that in a complimentary sense. they cant be called engineers, there is no engineering. but they take what knowledge they can find, what hardware they can find and in true pioneering spirit apply one to the other without fear. so this is for those people:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

that brilliant browndog. as so many have stated here before, the inginuity and engineering skill here is amazing. the effort and skill that some people will put into their brew gear. but the flip side of make do with whats to hand is often inspiring. then there is the flip-flip side: that dangerous world of the home hack. i mean that in a complimentary sense. they cant be called engineers, there is no engineering. but they take what knowledge they can find, what hardware they can find and in true pioneering spirit apply one to the other without fear. so this is for those people:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/
Surely he couldn't have carried that into your place...he can't have more than 3 fingers left on one hand?!

my question is can he build a bomb out of nothing more then some bubblegum, duct tape and the shoelace from his left shoe ?

I love beer inspired solutions to problems that never should have existed to begin with . Sure, he could have fit it with a crank or even a cordless drill, but why do that when you can harness the potential of uninsulated mains power? :icon_drunk:

Looks like something I would do. A while ago I was attempting to add a temp controller to an old fridge & was using the electrical cut out switch to assist me in wiring it up properly. As I said to my wife "it's ok honey" & after three resets it worked.

I can't understand how the thing actually works. From the pics I assumed it was just a part from an A380 engine mate :).

Whoever he is, he's a lucky bugger to have you looking after him.

Donya,
Pat

I can't understand how the thing actually works. From the pics I assumed it was just a part from an A380 engine mate :).

Whoever he is, he's a lucky bugger to have you looking after him.

Donya,
Pat

Looks like the direct drive motor from a Fisher and Paykel Washing Machine. I think they run on 300V DC which makes for an even more likely death :(

Another good use for these motors are here :0)

To me it looked like something I'd build in Fallout 3 to sneak up behind people and tear their spines out.
:lol:

That thing is awesome :D

Reminds me of a mate of mine.... a pins fallen out my clutch? no worries! I'll just snap off my aerial and wedge it in the hole

Back