• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Motion Dynamics' "Home Brewer Special" mill motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoo4u

Reaction score
After I bought a Motion Dynamics HB Special mill motor to motorise my Malt Muncher, my neighbour (who's hobby is bronze casting) was so impressed with the torque and speed control that he bought one for his 'goop stirrer'. The 'goop' is a viscous 'mud' used to make the moulds, which needs to be stirred for days at a time, and it does this wonderfully.

For the long term though, he's now looking to get a 3-phase AC geared motor (he's going into bronze casting in a big way B) ) as he wants to greatly increase the size of the mixing tub, and is going to need even more torque. So he's looking to offload the MD setup.
https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/home-brewer-special-worm-drive-motor-dc-speed-controller.html

It has the MD recommended 20A switch-mode power supply and standard speed controller, both mounted in a fully enclosed box with two cooling fans (one sucks, the other blows, to get a good airflow).

It's only been used to mix up one small tub of mud to date, and while it has a few splatters on the motor/gearbox, it's only a few weeks old. Asking $135 for the lot - motor/gearbox & power supply/speed controller in fan-cooled cabinet.

I'll call in and take a couple of photos tomorrow and post them here. Meantime, PM me if you're interested and I'll pass on your details. If you're in SE Qld, we can courier it to you for around $10, otherwise if local, you could pick it up yourself.

If you're thinking of motorising your grain mill, all I can say is 'go for it - it sure beats using a drill!'

OK - here are a couple of pics of my mate's MD motor setup. The unit was snapped up first thing this morning, but they might be of help to anyone wondering what's involved, and how big the recommended power supply is.

I don't know how hot the power supply gets when you're milling grain (hardly at all I'd guess), but we added the two fans to be sure to be sure! Also ran nice thick wires from the power supply to the controller. The only other bits you'll need are a 12mm shaft and a flex coupler from that to your mill's shaft.

One of these powering your mill is just the duck's nuts! (No connection whatsoever with MD - just a happy end-user)

MD setup_1.jpg

MD setup_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back