A little help with Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reardo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have done around 6 BIABs now and am very comfortable with the results I have been getting. I recently come across a website that has a list of top 10 AG beers to brew. I couldn't mind trying one out but the majority of them, in their instructions include sparging. Here is the link http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/beer-recipes-how-to-home-brew#slide-1

When i do my BIAB, I mash for 60 mins then remove the bag and begin the boil.

Here are a couple of questions that I have no doubt you good people can answer for me!

1. I brew with a 50 litre cut open CUB keg. Usually start with 36 litres water. Should I be sparging? If so, how do I know how much heated water for the sparging to add prior to starting the boil?

2. How do i know how much water volume i should be starting with prior to adding the grains? I read somewhere that 36 litres is a good start. I can't remember why.

Thanks in advance

reardo

I have probably done the same amount of brewing as you so feel free to ignore this post.

If your method works for you... don't change it. If you are not sure about volumes when doing new recipes maybe try the beer smith software. I love it as I can add a recipe and dial it into my biab system/method.

no worries. I will have a look at that. So is sparging used to get almost every bit of goodness out of the grain?

I rarely bothered sparging with BIAB, and it didn't seem to make much difference.
As far as desired volumes and temps download brewmate, select brew in a bag, and the rest is history.

If you are getting decent efficiency today, don't worry about sparging. If your current efficiency sux, sparge. If your volumes are good today, I would reduce X liters from your initial strike water, mash, lift bag and pour over the X litres of water to try and wash out more sugars from the grain.

Camo6 said:
I rarely bothered sparging with BIAB, and it didn't seem to make much difference.
As far as desired volumes and temps download brewmate, select brew in a bag, and the rest is history.
Where is the BIAB setting in brew mate? :blink:

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Where is the BIAB setting in brew mate? :blink:
Biab settings.PNG

Ah, the youth of today. Always in such a rush. :p

Back