Quantcast

A 'little Bit' Of Cooling In Secondary.....should I Bother?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

einnebcj

Well-Known Member
Joined
1/10/12
Messages
96
Reaction score
1
Have got 17l of DrS'sGA sitting in my primary at the mo - my first AG BIAB. All seems to be going well after 11 days. Think we've hit final gravity of about 1006 from original of 1044. Tastes good to me to!
I've waxed and waned about racking to secondary but with only 17l in a 30l fermenter I'm worried about infection in secondary so have pretty much decided to leave it in the primary to finish. I posted a few days ago about not having any means of crash chilling and my only option to clear up the beer is just to leave it to settle as much as possible. My question is, is there any benefit in me carefully moving it 30cm into a (deep) sink and filling it with water, then adding a number of frozen 3l containers and rotating these to brng temp down. I'm under no illusion that I'll brng it down massively.....maybe a few degrees. Is it worth it or should I just leave it sitting on the bench in primary and wait another couple of weeks before bulk priming and bottling.
Chris
 

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Joined
19/1/11
Messages
2,221
Reaction score
843
Have got 17l of DrS'sGA sitting in my primary at the mo - my first AG BIAB. All seems to be going well after 11 days. Think we've hit final gravity of about 1006 from original of 1044. Tastes good to me to!
I've waxed and waned about racking to secondary but with only 17l in a 30l fermenter I'm worried about infection in secondary so have pretty much decided to leave it in the primary to finish. I posted a few days ago about not having any means of crash chilling and my only option to clear up the beer is just to leave it to settle as much as possible. My question is, is there any benefit in me carefully moving it 30cm into a (deep) sink and filling it with water, then adding a number of frozen 3l containers and rotating these to brng temp down. I'm under no illusion that I'll brng it down massively.....maybe a few degrees. Is it worth it or should I just leave it sitting on the bench in primary and wait another couple of weeks before bulk priming and bottling.
Chris
Don't bother mate, unless you're going to cold condition then leave it as it. Dropping the temp by only a few degrees will do bugger all. If you're bottling it will clear up once it is carbed. A couple of months in the bottle does wonders for clarity.

You could always add some gelatine to clear it up a bit if its a big concern but IMHO it isn't worth the hassle.

I'm not a fan of racking either, once again IMHO, it's risks (infection and oxidation) outweigh the benefits.

JD
 

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Joined
3/11/08
Messages
2,611
Reaction score
40
Agree with JD.

Wont make a rat's ass of difference if you can only drop it by a few degrees.
 

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
It is worthwhile still having it sit around for the extra time though. Will condition faster in a larger volume than in the bottles.

[EDIT: typo]
 

labels

Well-Known Member
Joined
16/3/06
Messages
610
Reaction score
240
Location
Gulfview Heights SA
Absolutely do agree with JDW. It will condition (mellow the flavours) by leaving it a bit longer but this will also happen in the bottle as it has to be kept at room temperature to carbonate so you might as well bottle now.

As for cold conditioning, once it's bottled and carbed, putting a few bottles in the fridge for a few days is pretty much cold conditioning - size of vessel does not matter, it's still on the yeast and they're still working, doing their job

Steve
 

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
size of vessel does not matter, it's still on the yeast and they're still working, doing their job
Just more slowly.

A lot more slowly.
 

Latest posts

Top