A Lesson In Patience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotduck

Reaction score
I used to brew all my beer at work on the weekends. I used a gravity fed system which was setup specifically for use in the warehouse out the back of the shop. It was no great shakes, but it did the job, and many a happy Saturday was spent weaving backwards and forwards from warehouse to store between customers. However, all good things must come to an end, and when I realised I would be seeking employment elsewhere I began gathering the gear necessary to create my own sculpture of the brewing art.

That was eighteen months ago... :blink:

Finally it seems to be coming together for me. The eighteen metres of 25mm galvanised tubing I purchased way back when has been measured and cut, albeit 2800mm short, and I am about to invest in one of the 807PL march pumps. I won't bother with RIMS or HERMS The commercial cooler I use for my mash tun will keep ice for about 10 days, so any temperature loss over the 90 minute mash would be negligible, if any. The HLT will be another cooler, fitted with an adjustable cut-off switch plumbed into the side so that the lid can stay closed. As for a boiler, I have welded one and a half 50 litre kegs together so I have a total volume of a little under 75 litres. This boiler has been tried and tested works a charm.

I have been playing around with this "Hepworth" plastic tubing designed to replace the copper pipes in household plumbing. As far as I can tell it would have to be food grade, and cheaper/easier to work with than copper. I have used it in the past for a sparge arm with great success, and plan to make a manifold out of it.

At any rate, it looks like The Shot Duck will be back in action soon. I will keep you all updated with pics as soon as it starts to take shape.

Quack!

:beerbang:

Love to see some photos of the 75 litre boiler ShotDuck... If only I could weld...

Back