A hole lotta problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
If weldless and the pot is thick enough, you may want to tap the thread*, which requires more tools but will be super easy. Long before I knew anything about anything, I just drilled 1/2mm smaller than my valve and wound the tap in with elbow grease.

*If it's only a 2mm wall thickness, there's not much point threading and locknuts and silicon washers will do everything you need them to. Even 4mm, you could get away with it as I have done - just don't drill your hole oversize.
My old pot was about 2mm thick, what I did was drill the hole just a little bit too small and turned the thread to it, stainless winning over aluminium the thread of the nipple cut a nice thread and it actually sealed without any o rings, though I put o rings on it anyway.

In your case with alu you might not need to worry about this it might be relevant in the future, or help someone else.

I did two holes the other day in SS and used a hole saw which has a pilot drill in it. I used some silicone like roof and gutter sealant and made a big circle around where I was to drill. Then I poured my lube in and the silicone ring held it there in a nice pool while the hole was cut. By the time the hole is drilled you can wipe it off with no probs.

Have a bit of a think about the depth of your tap, as in how high up the side of the pot you go and will you have a pick-up tube and how much loss or wort will be left behind etc

good luck, welcome to the dark and slippery side :)

Can I ask, how much are you paying for this pot + what's it capacity?

And how much is the tooling you are looking at buying?

Just a thought re. the safety of the process of drilling a hole in a pot, regardless of whether its stainless or aluminium.

Before you start drilling, make sure the curvature of the pot is oriented east-west (ie, not with the curvature rolling towards your body) .

If the curvature is rolling toward you and the bit glances off while you are exerting strong downward pressure on the drill, you could suddenly find yourself drilling a hole in your groin.

And all the plumber's tape in the world might not be enough to stop the leakage.

droid said:
Have a bit of a think about the depth of your tap, as in how high up the side of the pot you go and will you have a pick-up tube and how much loss or wort will be left behind etc
Was out at craftbrewer the other day buying the ball valve they also raised this point so I have a few peices to play with. Craftbrewer also sell the carbide stepped drill bits so I just purchased one, I think as a brewer I'm in for the long haul so I'm sure it will get used again.

Also, put the hole directly beneath one of the handles on your pot. That way, you'll never have to have the valve jabbing you in the nuts while you move a hot kettle. Make sense?

Mardoo said:
Also, put the hole directly beneath one of the handles on your pot. That way, you'll never have to have the valve jabbing you in the nuts while you move a hot kettle. Make sense?
>Hot nut jab brewing co.

Back