A Guide To All-grain Brewing In A Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. SS digital it is for me. Im finally about to order every thing. Heres what im gonna get...
80 litre ally pot $125 or 100 litre for $137
Italian spiral burner $95
Med regulator $65
Barley Crusher $180
Bag
Does that sound OK? TYVM.

Thanks guys. SS digital it is for me. Im finally about to order every thing. Heres what im gonna get...
Med regulator $65
Barley Crusher $180
Bag

go the 100 litre one in my opinion.
i got the 60litre one.. And i wish i got a bigger one.

Thanks guys. Im planning to buy a syphon and transfere the wort to the fermenter for no-chill. Im worried the food grade hose will collapse under the heat of the wort. Will this be a problem, or should i purchase some wired hose. Has anyone had any problems chilling in the fermenter instead of a cube?
TYVM

Thanks guys. Im planning to buy a syphon and transfere the wort to the fermenter for no-chill. Im worried the food grade hose will collapse under the heat of the wort. Will this be a problem, or should i purchase some wired hose. Has anyone had any problems chilling in the fermenter instead of a cube?
TYVM

im new.. VERY new.. Ive done 2 batches so far. and havent tasted any..

however, when i finish brewing my beer in my pot, i put the lid on it and seal it with glad wrap and then let it chil in the pot over night and transfer when its chilled.

I chilled my first couple of AG brews in the pot, submersing it in water, then transferring to fermenter. It worked.

I now think that if I were to NoChill without a cube, I would do so in the fermenter. Plenty of others do. You have to be a bit more careful to avoid HSA (if you're a believer), but the heat gives you extra protection against bugs.

If you're using unreinforced PVC hose, it will kink with the heat. You can either deal with that, or avoid the issue by using something else. Either way, you're going to have teething problems and will have to work them through.

I bought an Easy Syphon. They're great, but mine deformed from the heat.

I tried using cheap PVC hose from Bunnings for a while and it went brown - I don't know what it did for the beer, but you might be better off buying some hose from your LHBS that they sell as 'food grade'.

I found it a hard decision to bore a hole in my kettle for a tap, but having done it my brew days are easier.

Edit: Fixed dumb grammar.

Med regulator $65
Barley Crusher $180
Bag
It seems to me that you'd be better off, if you're spending that kind of money, getting an esky or something for a mashtun. While I have nothing against BIAB, and think it's a great development, I feel that a mashtun offers more flexibility and avoids the necessity for lifting such a huge grain bag (with all the weight and effort that entails).

It seems to me that you'd be better off, if you're spending that kind of money, getting an esky or something for a mashtun. While I have nothing against BIAB, and think it's a great development, I feel that a mashtun offers more flexibility and avoids the necessity for lifting such a huge grain bag (with all the weight and effort that entails).

I have been tossing and turning with the idea of converting my 80 litre esky into a mash tun. I was thinking of the Beer Belly conversion kit, but at $145 im not sure. Im terrible when it comes to building things. Ill look into it. I brought the esky off Ebay and didnt relise it was so big. It only fits in the front passengers seat in the car. So needles to say my brother doesnt come camping with us anymore. I really wont to order this weekend, but everytime i decide on a set up i change my mind.
Ill definatly order the Barley Crusher today while its 20% off yeah?
TYVM

I'm going to disagree, because I can and to keep the conversation going. :D

I use a simple single-pulley rope system with a rope ratchet to lift my baggie and don't find the lifting part too hard. Admittedly, I had all the bits lying around so it did not cost me anything to make and I have a vertical house that allows it, so in that regard, I might be *cough* special *cough*.

I'd recommend doing your first couple of brews with as little equipment and expenditure as possible so you can decide for yourself what you like and do not like about what is going on. After a while you can decide if a mill/falsie/skyhook/wench is a good or bad purchase.

I've got a few things that I bought for brewing without giving it too much thought and have subsequently decided were a waste and so will always translate that into advice to start simple and take it from there...

I might be *cough* special *cough*.
I think you're special, spills :wub: :lol:
I'd recommend doing your first couple of brews with as little equipment and expenditure as possible so you can decide for yourself what you like and do not like about what is going on. After a while you can decide if a mill/falsie/skyhook/wench is a good or bad purchase.
I totally agree. Except the part about the wench... you'll definitely need one of those :icon_chickcheers:
You don't know if it's really for you until you've done a brew or two, and if you've already bought all the gear, it's too late if you change your mind about anything. There aren't many, but there are a handful of brewers that have decided AG isn't their bag (pun intended).

I'll disagree with bonj and then agree with him as well -

I fail to see how a mash-tun offerers more flexibility. How? I am unaware of any significant brewing technique or beer style that can't be fairly easily adapted to BiaB. If you have one, fair enough - but I've done a hell of a lot of thinking and experimenting on the topic andI have yet to come up with a beer you can brew on a mash-tun based system, that you cant brew BiaB.

Lifiting the damn bag - Jeesus, how many times have I addressed this bloody issue, I'm losing count? "lifting such a huge grain bag (with all the weight and effort that entails)" - I'm sorry but the bags are simply not that heavy - they are not that heavy - can you hear me???? They are not that heavy!!!!!!

If you use the recommended material, then for a single batch the bags weigh easily less than 10kg. Any health male type person could lift one out of the pot , hold it there for a few seconds and toss it in a bucket, without so much as needing to grunt in effort. I am 5'9", tubby and unfit and I can and have pulled a BiaB bag with one hand, just to prove I could - don't believe me?? well I did it in front of an audience at a G&G demo day because I wanted to prove the point that the BiaB bags are not that damn heavy!

If you do a double batch - you will need a hook or something, you'll still be able to do the lifting by hand, but it will be more awkward and life will be easier if you have a hook over your pot to hang the bag till it drains completely. But for single batches - all you need is one hand and a bucket

And yeah - I say spend the minimum you can till you find out whether you even like brewing or not

Thirsty

Well maybe I'm a weakling (actually I know I am), but lifting a double batch (that is after all what we're talking about here) bag with saturated grain sounds very awkward to me. Running off from a mashtun just seems easier to accomplish... to me. I never said you couldn't brew all the same styles with BIAB, I just think the mashtun makes life easier (to me). Jeez, you BIAB guys are jumpy.

Jeez, you BIAB guys are jumpy.

Just what do you mean by that? :p There is a lot of misinformation about the technique floating around, so we tend to be quick to refute it, lest the BS take hold.

I think the original questioner has decided to go old school and mess up his life with multiple vessels, anyhow... ;)

I've not done too many double batches - I like brewing too much, but didn't have too much trouble with (what I claim to be) the world record BIAB grain bill of 17kg (from memory). The bag held and my simple lifting device made it all easy. For normal single batches, a lift/hold/dump-in-a-bucket manoeuvre can be accomplished by your average IT guy...

I reckon anyone who brews with a standard seven-vessel system by choice is going to understand its benefits better than a BIAB guru, so I can also extrapolate that down to a typical home brew setup and surmise that they may fail to understand the natural beauty of a single-vessel system... :D :p

Well maybe I'm a weakling (actually I know I am), but lifting a double batch (that is after all what we're talking about here) bag with saturated grain sounds very awkward to me. Running off from a mashtun just seems easier to accomplish... to me. I never said you couldn't brew all the same styles with BIAB, I just think the mashtun makes life easier (to me). Jeez, you BIAB guys are jumpy.

Thats not what it looked like you were saying Bonj - you said, and this is quoted from your post - ". . . I feel that a mashtun offers more flexibility and avoids the necessity for lifting such a huge grain bag (with all the weight and effort that entails)."

If the flexibility bit isn't about the ability to brew beer... what is it about?

You're right though, I am jumpy about the weight thing because I have answered it so many times in the past - I'm sick of it thats all. For a double batch, yep fair enough, you will need something to help you. But a simple hook off a beam and a bit of rope isn't exactly an overly complex device.

As for the flexibility thing, that is in my opinion, plain misinformation; perhaps not deliberately so, but wrong nonetheless.

If I said that a mash tun with a false bottom was no damn good because it looked to me like you could never get a clear wort with holes that big ... just how fast and how hard do you think that my opinion would be trashed? Why should people who get the facts wrong about BiaB be taken to task any less stridently? Especially in this particular thread.

Damian44 - I strongly suggest that you drill a hole in that aluminium pot and install a tap. It will make your life much much easier. I also don't share the opinion that you need the 100L pot. It depends, if you are always going to make double batches, then it is perhaps a better choice, but if you are going to be swapping and changing between double and single batches, then I think 100L is too big. You will get a huge boil off rate and you will have lots of surface area to lose heat during the mash. 80L will be big enough for a double BiaB batch of anything but the "biggest" beers and in a multi vessel system way more than needed for any beer at all. Spend the extra on a tap and the skyhook/hook/pulley or whatever is suitable in your situation, that you will need if you are doing double batches.

But - dont chuck away that 80L eski you have. You might decide later on that a mashtun is what you want/need. Then you will kick yourself if you have gotten rid of it.

Thirsty

Here's a substantial post to try and cover some of the questions on equipment etc.

Firstly, Mr Bonj! How goes it mate? Hope you haven't got scared of the BIAB thread! The guys here are actually very open-minded but as we only rely on one thread, it is very hard for guys like yourself to be able to get a thorough overview of the discussions and debates previosuly held here. This means that to date, many of the same questions have been answered multiple times which gets a bit frustrating. BTW, 5kg of malt with BIAB weighs only around 6kgs. So, it is not as heavy as anyone reckons. (I know you will have questions on 1kg of grain absorbing 1 lt of water but I won't go there now.)

The other hard thing about BIAB is that only a few traditional brewers have ever tried BIAB. The most obviously active ones being myself, ThirstyBoy and Goober in the US. I have never entered a comp but Thirsty is an accomplished competition goer (gettin last year's mash paddle with one of his traditional brews) and Goober acheived 47/50 in the US for one of his BIAB brews. There is another multi-medal winner over here that brews BIAB as well as traditional but he is maintaing a quiet front until he has had a chance to enter some BIABs in some comps. (I have tasted his BIAB beer and I think he has no worries!)

We also have Nev from Gryphon Brewing who is the highest formally educated and experienced brewer I know. He has multiple golds and awards in the lager and pilsner sections (plus many other sections) of God know how many comps. He and I are going to brew one of his gold medal recipes side by side next weekend and throw them in a comp next year to see how they fare. He has tasted many of my beers and he can't see any problems with this idea so this is a good sign for me! Because of this and and many other reasons, I no longer even question BIAB. All I focus on now is recipes.

So old mate, these are the reasons why the some of the best and most essential contributors to this thread quickly try and dampen down old discussions and already resolved debates. These guys spend hours contributing here and experimenting with beers (Spills has brewed more styles than in BJCP I think!) and their communication skills or willingness to pass on their experience are amongst the best I have seen on any forum. I'm struggling to think of any better to tell you the truth. Unlike PistolPatch, they rarely slip up in their communications. Thirsty may have slipped up a tad when he wrote, "How many times do I have to say..." but he only writes like that when he wishes to emphasise a point. I know exactly where he is coming from...

Before Thirsty thankfully turned up here, I used to be the main, "answerer," and it does take countless hours. I laugh on the rare occassion I can see Thirsty get a bit frustrated and actually send him an email taking the piss. At the moment for example, he is formulating a really interesting experiment that relates to BIAB versus traditional brewing and this takes up yet more of his time. So, his mind is looking at more advanced stuff whilst still, like some others, he is diligently trying to make sure this thread stays as accurate as possible.

Hopefully me writing this will help you understand the graceful and most helpful place he and others are coming from. He and others write extrememley well and certainly their intention is just to be of benefit to other brewers. Unfortunateley in life, this is a concept that some people, thankfully not too many, just cannot understand.

A real passion about something can be either a very dangerous or very helpful thing. I think brewing is a pretty harmless thing to be passionate about and I think being passionate and very informative about a system of brewing that really has no downsides that can be identified in over two years is a very good thing. In my books, a productive idea is one that helps people to expand their thinking. BIAB is a great area for all brewers from those with little experience to great experience.

The best thing though that I have seen re BIAB of late is some newer BIABers starting to answer questions. Man! Have we been waiting for you! I haven't sent an email to ThirstyBoy yet but I reckon he will have been as pleased as I am to see you guys pop up. Wambesi and you others, please keep up your top work. Answer everything you can and, as you have been doing, keep an eye out for any random BIAB threads. These get missed way too much.

If you see a question that you reckon is out of your depth, then PM it to me and I will answer it or if it is too technical and hard I will handball it to Thirsty ;)

As for mash tuns Bonj, old son - LOL! I actually had a vigorous debate on this subject about a year ago in this thread. I won't go there again but mash tuns are way more complicated and messy, in so many ways than BIAB, that I don't know where to start. The only messy bit of BIAB is dumping the bag (which can be 20 second process) and then cleaning the bag. Compare that to emptying a mash tun of grain along with possible stuck sparges. Agh!

Whoops! I have written way more than I thought but Bonj is a good old QLD brewer (where I started to do real brewing) and he runs the Brewerhood emailing list of which I am an honorary out-of-state member so I thought he deserved a bit of an explanation of this thread as we all know that it has become too large.

I was going to write about Equipment in this post but the above is enough for now. Tomorrow I'll write what I meant to say in this post!

Suffice to say that I'm re-writing the BIAB Guide in a wholly new format which I am, at last, happy with. One of the first sections is on Equipment (including thermometers!) so hopefully tomorrow I can give an indication to brewers like Damien44 who are starting out as to what equipment they should initially aim for and be confident with. Finding the right stuff has not been an easy task. It sounds easy but has taken well over a year (probably more like two) of discussions with everyone from inexperienced to highly experienced brewers as well as retailers ranging from subtley intimidating to totally supportive and enthusiastic.

Anyway, I am finally really happy with the list of equipment. Very pleased in fact.

So Bonj, we are making progress. I reckon that in about two to three months, we will have things laid out really nicely so that others like your good self will be able to quickly see if we already have an answer to your question or whether your question is a new one which we can all discuss and explore in the same manner as has been done in almost the totality of this thread, that manner being, humourous, openly explorative, friendly and always totally aimed at helping other brewers out. Any exceptions to this are usually attributed to me and on a few occassions this has been accurate - lol.

I think PP has had one too many BIAB Pales. I better go!

Spot ya,
Pat

I cannot thank everyone enough for there input today. I woke up this morning with a thousand question floating around in my head, and all were answered. I have ordered the Barley Crusher, so All Grain here i come. YAY&WOOT
TYVM

[With ref to BIAB]
There is a lot of misinformation about the technique floating around, so we tend to be quick to refute it, lest the BS take hold.
No argument there.

So far as insulated mash tuns (esky conversions) go.
I know BIAB has its own way of keeping the 35 litres of mash water and 5kg of grain at a constant temp for 60 minutes.
You can pick up a new 25 litre esky for less than $25, you can make a number of basic mainfolds for just your labour and a couple of bucks (slotted copper, wire cage, braided tube, aluminium beer can etc) and you probably don't need a stainless steel tap, all up, $40 or less is not a lot of money, and certainly saves a lot of effort.
Maybe I am the sort of guy who would rather muck around with pipe and bends and nuts n bolts than sit in front of a sewing machine when it comes to my brew gear.
As to flexibility, it my opinion that an insulated mash tun set up offers more flexibility than a BIAB/single vessel, however it is my opinion only and possibly springs from an interest in decoction.
The point that Bonj was making (before he got jumped on faster than a 90lb weakling at the beach) was that a mash tun is not that expensive.
Most people who brew BIAB say they brew better beer though, I take it that they reference the beer they make (or made) by the conventional method rather than some random or constructed beer.
For these people then BIAB is viable, just as multi-vesseled double recirculating hybrid RIMS-HERMS may be for others and Kit and Kilo for others again, if you enjoy the beer you make and the beer you drink then the world is a happier place, unless you compare your beers with others for you may become vain.

K

I think most people who say they brew better beer mean they brew better beer than they did before they went AG - At least thats what I hope they mean. Otherwise I reckon they are probably wrong, BiaB is an alternative brweing method, not a superior one. At least not in terms of the beer it produces.

Bonj, in fact didn't mention anything at all about whether mash tuns are expensive or inexpensive to make - his point was entirely unrelated to cost excepting that he thought a mash tun was a better thing to spend your money on. Fair enough, thats his point of view.

As for flexible - well, I found the couple of times I did decoction via BiaB, that it was just a little easier to get the right portion of mash ot of the mash tn and into the decoction pot when I was able to just pull the solid portion of the mash to the surface and scoop it out with a spoon. I've done decoctions on both my BiaB system and my regular system. Possible on both, near enough to equal on the effort front. So I maintain that it is as "flexible' as any other mashing technique.

Like you said though, people usually end up with the sort of system that rings their particualr personal bells - and thats a grand thing.

TB

Thanks for the post (and the email), Pat. dr K has interpreted my post correctly. I don't have the way with words that others have, and usually have to either ponder them over and over, or just type and post. Unfortunately, when I don't ponder them carefully, they are apt to be misinterpreted (just ask SWMBO :lol: ).

Sorry bonj - didn't mean to be taking it all out on you anyway. Not supposed to be a vendetta against you, or even against mash-tuns :) I quite like them and have one of my own. No more jumping I promise (well, at least not on you)

And if price is mainly what you meant, then you are indeed right. A mash tun can be had even more cheaply than DrK suggested. My one probably cost less than $30 all up for a 47L unit (it is uninsulated though). You can have a bag for less than $10 ... but hell, we are only talking $20 here.

Having used both - I think BiaB is easier to both do and understand than a mash-tun based system, which is why I tend to recommend it to new brewers. But you wont catch me denegrating the cheapie mash-tun - otherwise I'd never be able to let anyone look in my brewery.

Brew away peoples - its all gonna be beer and it most likely gonna be good.

Cheers

TB

Back