a good beer in sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You feral!!!poor puppy!!give a berer to him for forget this horrible day!!anyway don't worry,we have time!

Also in Surry Hills is the Macquarie Hotel on Wentworth Avenue, they have a range of craft beers.

TNT650R said:
You feral!!!poor puppy!!give a berer to him for forget this horrible day!!anyway don't worry,we have time!
yeah every time i brew i give him a tiny tiny sip. he loves it :)

he's my brewing assistant

Right!!!now!!!the TNT attack take place!

In the local I'm with a bitter in my hand!
After this I will take the tadting paddle.

The nice thing is there is one Italian beer 2013-06-07 17.13.48.jpg

I can recommend Harts; had a few pints there while visiting Sydney recently. The walk up the hill from Circular Quay was hard work!

In my plan there is to leave here, eat in frankies pizza and finish the night in the rocks pubs...definitly will be hard to cameb
ack!

Hey guys!
I m still alive!sfter taphouse i went to ftankies pizza but there is too much time to wait.. Maybe fifty people were waiting outside the local..so i decide to go at the rocks lord nelson before an australian hermitage after two very nice place!

I was super surprised with the Lord Albert? In surry. Handpumps and all in what used to be a vb hole.

handspump?!?!?!cool!!!have they some real ales on cask??

Yesterday I had a very nice evening at the union hotel with the NewtownClown!!!
we enjoy some good beers and after 6 month I came back to talk about beer and brew with someone!!!!!!You can't understand how much I 've enjoed the moment!!!It's like to come back to breath!!!
instead today I'd the lunch in a "normal"pub with vb carlton and many more...but they have also on tap the young's real ale, never tasted before but it's a real real ale!!!! a finger of persistant foam, nice copper color, elegant hop aroma(quite sure that there are galaxy and not all english hops..), in mouth a nice body with caramel malt tofee and a nice bitter finish that clean the mounth and make you ready for another sip!
very good job!!
this week I wanna try to visit the brewery!

I guys my beer tour in sydney continue!
on thursday I went in The hearts pub before dinner...and I've taste their beer...but I was a bit disappointed...because on 3their beers (pale ale golden ale and porter) only the porter hadn't problems..insted I supposed that pale ale and expecially the golden ale were gone!I supposed that beers were on time for to much time do you know what I mean?they stinky of sewer, in the pale ale was only light smell instead the golden ale was very bad... I try to say that to the barman he said REALLY?!yes..have a taste..he take a sip from tap but he didn't say me nothing...mmh it's sad..when I worked i a beer pub with all craft beer on tap, if the keg has problem new we call the brewery but when some keg spend too much time on tap and start to has problem we throw it away....
anyway the porter was good but the best thing there was the cider!!very very nice!

instead yesterday I found by chance the Red Oak beer boutique in the city center(I went to print some copy of my resume on office work :D )
and I'm entred of course .....well guys I taste the IPA and the berliner weisse and they are perfect!oh well in the IPA there was US hops...but used in a good way so not a hops bomb but an elegant aroma and nice bitter nice malty good!and also the berliner I couldn't belive to find something like that in Australia!that's style it's very hard to fine not only in Europe but also in germany!!!
I spoke a bit with the publican, he is a good boy maybe the boss...I don't know that....but the strange thing is that I ask a bit about the brewery like where is it and if I can have a tour...but he said NO IT'S A SECRET!!!!
what means?why???????very very strange...or well strange for me maybe here is normal I don't know...but in Italy the craft brewery are almost happy to meet the fans...
the beer were soo much perfect, clean, so professional..and you can't know nothing about the brewery....too strange...someone can explain me?

I can vouch for the Royal Albert (Commonwealth St, Surry Hills), it's my local from work. I was in here yesterday lunchtime and they had a Feral Brewing Co tap takeover, still on from Thursday night. There must have been 9 or 10 different Feral beers on tap, including two the hand pumps. Nice if you like American IPAs.

They normally have a good selection of beers on tap, often with the Young Henry's on the hand pump, others I've had in there recently from Mountain Goat and Riverside brewery. It's worth checking out.

thanks!maybe I will pass tonight..or tomorrow!!
Hey guys if anyone whant's to have few beers with me I'm glad!
to entere in the local alone, sometime is funny because I meet people on the bar...but it can be boring if I don't know none.. :ph34r:

So, this thread is a couple of years old now. I am showing off Sydney to a couple of friends later this month. They are a couple and "good beer" drinkers.
What are considered the best beer venues these days? I was thinking about doing the ferry thing to Manly and going to 4Pines. That might be a good lunch starter..?
They're not Sydney virgins, so the harbour is not necessarily a must do for the beer day out.
Suggestions please. Public transport of course.

mckenry said:
So, this thread is a couple of years old now. I am showing off Sydney to a couple of friends later this month. They are a couple and "good beer" drinkers.
What are considered the best beer venues these days? I was thinking about doing the ferry thing to Manly and going to 4Pines. That might be a good lunch starter..?
They're not Sydney virgins, so the harbour is not necessarily a must do for the beer day out.
Suggestions please. Public transport of course.
Bitter Phew, Local Taphouse - both around Darlinghurst

The Dove and Olive, The KB Hotel - Surry Hills

Sweeney's roof top - CBD

The Harts Hotel, Lord Nelson - The Rocks

That'll probably keep you busy for a day

Bitter Phew is hands down my favourite with Albert a close second, but Bitter Phews bottle list is a goldmine and the taps cover just about everything

mckenry said:
Bitter Phew. Had never heard of it!
It's about a km up the road from Hyde park on Oxford street. Upstairs above either an Asian restaurant or a gay sex shop, one of the two. Probably best to google map it. They have a massive bottled beer list, about 10 taps and every one is a winner.

I had an imperial IPA, a delicious stout, a Dutch tripel and American brown ale. All were crackers.

I'm trying to remember from when I visited with my now ex, last year.. all the ones in that list except Bitter Phew and the KB were covered I think. We did check out one around Darlinghurst called Shady Pines Saloon. The entrance is ******* hard to find though, it's in a back laneway and the door looks like all the others. They had a fair few imported craft beers, mainly in bottles, the bar itself is reminiscent of the American west, really cool little place, assuming it's still there anyway. In the CBD we went to Redoak which wasn't bad although they only have their own beers I think.

The Australian hotel in the rocks was our favourite though, tried a shitload of beers there. Pyrmont Bridge hotel down from where we were staying even had a few we hadn't heard of but not to the extent of the others. Enjoyed Harts pub too, and the food there was bloody good.

Didn't get a chance to get over to 4 Pines though.

Funnily enough if this is a 2 year old post, there are 5 odd breweries worth looking at the inner SW. Start at Young Henrys, Rocks (me), Willy the Boatman, Batch and Grifter. Wayward (hurry the fark up Shaun) and James Squire are not far away as well, shit happens ey'?

Back