A German Home-brewery Iii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwickel

Keg Drainer
Reaction score
my basic-equipment for producing the yeast:

a airpump with filter and airator:

1934.JPG

then a magnetic-stirrer and a 5liter-bottle:

1932.JPG

the result looks like that:

1900.JPG

then pure yeast:

1887.jpg

after 1 week:

1852.jpg

to avoid too much foaming, I put a stainless-steel-sponge into the bottleneck for defoaming:

1948.JPG

I store my yeast on agar, this is a 1 year-old agar:

1941.JPG

will be continued by a counterpressure-filler...

I love the yeast pouch! Looks like a blood pack.

I bet there are little white Volkswagens racing all over Germany with the words "Urgent Yeast Delivery" on the side...

Wortgames said:
I love the yeast pouch! Looks like a blood pack.

I bet there are little white Volkswagens racing all over Germany with the words "Urgent Yeast Delivery" on the side...
[post="84681"][/post]​

You are absolutely right, Wortgames, but instead of Volkswagen Im using a Ferrari with trailer ;)

Hi there Zwickel,

So is home brewing common in Germany?

Cheers

Case

sinkas said:
[post="84683"][/post]​
Hi sinkas,

oh yes it is, we have a big community here either and also a very nice homebrewing-board.
I guess, everything is very similar to the aussiehomebrewer-scene, as well as the level of homebrewing-knowledge.
Somtimes, when Im reading the aussiehombrewer-board, I think the only different thing here is the language.

Cheers

Zwickel said:
sinkas said:
[post="84683"][/post]​
Hi sinkas,

oh yes it is, we have a big community here either and also a very nice homebrewing-board.
I guess, everything is very similar to the aussiehomebrewer-scene, as well as the level of homebrewing-knowledge.
Somtimes, when Im reading the aussiehombrewer-board, I think the only different thing here is the language.

Cheers
[post="84684"][/post]​

welcome here Zwickel -- pity my German isn't as good as your English.

Looking forward to some recipe exchanges with you for genuine as opposed to Americanised German beers.

Steve

I always said that German Engineering sh1ts over anything else in the world.

Absolutely astounding setup.

What a benchmark to set. Bravo!

M

thank you mates for the warm welcome.

knowing my english is very poor, but you have to get through ;)

I must admit, that Im more the technician then the cook behind brewing beer.

Im using only a few recipes, because I know only two species of beer: taste good and taste not good :p

so far Im producing only Pilsener, Weizen and a corn-based Corona-Clone, refer to the introduction-section, where I wrote about it.

Cheers :party:

Welcome Zwickel,

I've got to enquire about your userID/Login name. Zwickel is a style of beer closely associated with Kellerbier yes ?
If so do you have any details on this style you can inform us about ?

Beers,
Doc

Yes Doc, you are right,

but I have to tell the whole story about it:

long time ago, when the brewing-process has not yet been automated, means, when brewing beer was still an handcraft-job, each Lagertank (Vat ?) had an Zwickel.
Thats an little faucet (Tab ?) where the "Braumeister" (Brewingingeneer) took samples for testing the quality of beer, was supposed to, but the sampling-rate has been very high, so mostly the Braumeister has been carried out of the brewery after his work.

This beer from Zwickel was not yet filtered, means still very cloudy and the amount of beer was still undocumented, so the loss of beer has not been obvious, therefore the whole workmanship filled up there privat beer-rate at the Zwickel.

In that time, if someone had cloudy beer at home, everyone knews, its Zwickel-beer, wondering how he got it.

nowadays the Zwickel is almost vanished, but as the number of housebreweries (pubs with theire own beerproduction) raised, the name Zwickel came en vogue again, because all housebreweries do not filter theire beer.

Today, with Zwickel is ment a unfiltered lager-beer.

puuuuhhh, can anyone understand what Im writing about?

Cheers

Thats an little faucet (Tab ?) where the "Braumeister" (Brewingingeneer) took samples for testing the quality of beer, was supposed to, but the sampling-rate has been very high, so mostly the Braumeister has been carried out of the brewery after his work.

What a hard job :p

Great pics... we have the same airator.

Wortgames said:
... I have been known to get a bit zwickeled in my own brewery...
[post="84718"][/post]​

:blink: does it means, someone took you at the Zwickel? :blink:

you know, basically the Zwickel is little faucet on a big Tank....
lachen.gif

Zwickel - I must remember that term. In fincance that would be where the accountant siphons off funds through a backdoor.

Zwickel said:
Wortgames said:
... I have been known to get a bit zwickeled in my own brewery...
[post="84718"][/post]​

:blink: does it means, someone took you at the Zwickel? :blink:

you know, basically the Zwickel is little faucet on a big Tank....
lachen.gif

[post="84745"][/post]​

Yes I understand your story - I meant 'getting zwickeled' as 'doing too much sampling' and having to be 'carried out of brewery'...

:p

Wortgames said:
Yes I understand your story - I meant 'getting zwickeled' as 'doing too much sampling' and having to be 'carried out of brewery'...
:p
[post="84775"][/post]​

yes I understood, but I was just kidding, because a Tank whit a little faucet on it, could also be a (your) body, where then the Zwickel is, you may imagine, sorry for that joke ;)

satchmo said:
Hallo hoffen mein Freund, ich, dass Sie Ihren Aufenthalt hier genieen.

Wie geht es dir? es geht mir gut danke.

Wie ist mein Freund heavybyte? Bist du lothar. Ich denke du bist
Ich mag Ihre Brauerei. Ich auch hab ein maishe braurei.
Ich Mchte bitte ein rezept fr ein dunkelbier, aber ich habe funden rezept nicht im deutshe Stil.
[post="84823"][/post]​
Hello und guten Tag satchmo, alias aussie-bierhaus :)
thank you for the warm welcome.
yes my nickname is "heavybyte" (Lothar) in the German board.

Would you like to swap recipes. ich wrde das nur zu gern tun.

sorry if I dissapoint you a little bit, I wrote in another post:

"I must admit, that Im more the technician then the cook behind brewing beer.

Im using only a few recipes, because I know only two species of beer: taste good and taste not good :p

so far Im producing only Pilsener, Weizen and a corn-based Corona-Clone, refer to the introduction-section, where I wrote about it."

But I have a large library for recipes, so just tell me what Kind of beer you would like.

But.... there is a very important matter: the taste of any beer is very depence on the yeast.
you may brew what ever you want, youll never get the original taste without using the recommended yeast.

so your next question probably would be, what yest Im using:

Fortunately I can get the yeast from a local brewery in town where I live.
I can get yeast for high-fermentation as well as for low-fermentation.

sometimes they also have special yeast, to produce "Champagne-beer", thats a high-fermented Weizen, high carbonated- 10g CO2/liter, therefore named Champagne-beer.

I created my own yeast-farm, based on all yest-strains I got from the brewery, so Im independend for the future.
But time by time, Im refreshing all stored yeast.

so have a beer :beer:

aghhhhhhhhhhh so now i know who i was speeaking to on the hobby brewer board lages ago

Back