A First Wort Hop Question..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as a new AG brewer i no chill in a cube, so if i do my 60 min boil then add final hop additions at 15 mins does this imply i should do my 15 min hop additions at flame out to minimise any additional bitterness with the NC method.

also if i have a hop addition at flame out would this still be added at flameout with the 15 min addition. i guess what i am getting at is for NC do all late additions go in at flameout.
fergi

simply offset your additions by 10-15 mins depending on your process, thats the easiest way. if its 15 min, add at flameout. 0 minute, add to the cube or do a hop tea and add to the fermenter. Its just that easy.

as a new AG brewer i no chill in a cube, so if i do my 60 min boil then add final hop additions at 15 mins does this imply i should do my 15 min hop additions at flame out to minimise any additional bitterness with the NC method.

also if i have a hop addition at flame out would this still be added at flameout with the 15 min addition. i guess what i am getting at is for NC do all late additions go in at flameout.
fergi

No - as a new brewer, dont do any of that stuff. Just follow the recipes as they are written and dont worry about changing anything at all. Then, if it so happens that your beers are turning out to be a bit more bitter than you would like them, thats when you worry about what to do about it.

Dont go looking for solutions to problems that might not even exist for you.

If you do find that your beer is a little too bitter.... Then all you do is add less bittering hops, dont change the times you put your hops in.... If the beer is too bitter, just add a little less of what is making it bitter. Not hard at all.

No - as a new brewer, dont do any of that stuff. Just follow the recipes as they are written and dont worry about changing anything at all. Then, if it so happens that your beers are turning out to be a bit more bitter than you would like them, thats when you worry about what to do about it.

Dont go looking for solutions to problems that might not even exist for you.

If you do find that your beer is a little too bitter.... Then all you do is add less bittering hops, dont change the times you put your hops in.... If the beer is too bitter, just add a little less of what is making it bitter. Not hard at all.

Excellent advice thirsty boy.

I calc it as a 20 min, worked fine, so fine i did FWH for a long time with no problems. I don't even change my calcs for 10 min no chilled APA's, works great for me.

Back