A Fair Go For Craft Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I've been working with VAMI and the Australian Association of Microbreweries to help launch the new website fairgocraftbeer.com.au

The website and campaign, is effectively a grass-root national petition which aims to collect as many shows of support by way of signature, for excise relief to the small-production craft brewing industry in Australia. The signatures will be submitted to the federal government on behalf of yourselves and the Australian Association of Microbreweries in Feb.2009.

How you can help:
1.) Visit the FairGo website and Join The Fight!
2.) Sign the petition at a location near you
3.) No location near you? Start a petition, which is really nothing more than hosting printed copies of the petition for signing at your brew-club, bar, brewery, retail outlet, etc.

I was hoping to get some serious AHB muscle
muscle.gif
behind this. Excise relief will not only benefit existing small breweries in Australia, but will encourage new brewery upstarts, employment opportunities in the brewing industry, a wider production of styles, better commercial beer in your glass, period. The list goes on and on.

Thanks in advance,
reVox
Fair Go Craft Beer
Drink Less, Drink Better
fairgo_cap.gif

co signed!

biggups revox, build it and they will come.

Good stuff, reVox. I've signed up and will sign the petition in the Macquarie when I go there next week. :icon_cheers:

I suspect if you took a look at how many ex-pollies and former high-ranking public servants own vineyards, you might get to the bottom of the tax-breaks-for-winos rort.

Ive joined the fight. Suprised Mrs Parmas isnt on the list of petition participants. i'll drop into one of the other locations and sign the petition (and have a few brews)

Signed up also.
Looks like a good initiative indeed.

Bump! keep this up on the board until it gets a good backing from AHB members (its only fair trade)

I will call in to holgates to sign the petition asap

I'm calling in at Little Brewing Co tomorrow afternoon on the way back from golf.
The micro/craft brewing industry needs all the help they can get.

Hi Revox,

Went to join the fight, but alas, there is no option to select TAS in the State drop down. :(

Cheers,

Morrie

Hi Revox,

Went to join the fight, but alas, there is no option to select TAS in the State drop down. :(

Cheers,

Morrie
How embarrassing, and fixed! Thanks for bringing the omission to my attention.

Suprised Mrs Parmas isnt on the list of petition participants.

We only launched over the weekend; hopefully we can get a petition down there soon. If anyone frequents Mrs. Parmas and wants to drop a petition on by, that'd be cool.. nudge nudge, wink wink :D . A direct download to Page 1 of the petition is here. Page 2 here. And the poster here. PM me or email that a petition has been dropped by and we'll update the site.

Thanks everyone for the show of support and enthusiasm!

Oh, and Ian Morgan the assistant brewer up at Holgate started a Fair Go Facebook group here.

The ball is rolling,
reVox

edit: corrected Ian's surname

Great website :) In the video- they hand cap all their beers?? :eek:

An 800L batch is only just a touch over 2100 stubbies. Not all that bad with a decent bench capper like that - still fits in a day's work.

Good to see Cam from Mountain Goat adding his $0.02, and surely more of the micros could use some of their popularity to get noticed too - the public will be more likely to get behind a name they already know.

Survey:

Do you want more Mountain Goat beers, cheaper? YES.
Do you want more Buckley's Beers beers, cheaper? Um, sure. Who are they?

Nothing against BB - just using the examples given. I hope that this takes off and we see a fair go for all the micros. :beer:

Nice one revox.

I see that a number of politicians have expressed their support so could we all be writing to our local federal members as well?

cheers

Grant

An 800L batch is only just a touch over 2100 stubbies. Not all that bad with a decent bench capper like that - still fits in a day's work.

Good to see Cam from Mountain Goat adding his $0.02, and surely more of the micros could use some of their popularity to get noticed too - the public will be more likely to get behind a name they already know.

Survey:

Do you want more Mountain Goat beers, cheaper? YES.
Do you want more Buckley's Beers beers, cheaper? Um, sure. Who are they?

Nothing against BB - just using the examples given. I hope that this takes off and we see a fair go for all the micros. :beer:

I think I remember someone saying somewhere (might have been Cam from mountain goat) that the change in excise won't really make microbrewed beers cheaper, it'll just actually let them hire staff, get a bottling line etc, new fermenters etc...and maybe make a profit somewhere down the line (shock horror :icon_cheers: ). I guess it might come down in price a bit...but not the whole cost of the excise. I'm perfectly happy paying $20 a 6 pack of good, microbrewed beer...if I want cheap beer, I'll drink homebrew.

It'll definately help more micros get going, which can only be a good thing.

<snip>
I think I remember someone saying somewhere (might have been Cam from mountain goat) that the change in excise won't really make microbrewed beers cheaper, it'll just actually let them hire staff, get a bottling line etc, new fermenters etc...and maybe make a profit somewhere down the line (shock horror :icon_cheers:
</snip>
True, but my point is that if the micro needs to hire staff, get equipment, etc... then they either need to get the money out of the excise or up the price of the beer. So I guess by cheaper I mean 'cheaper than it would be if they passed further expenses onto you.' I can't see the micros saving money on excise and dropping the prices of their beers - these are people who are in it for the passion - they'll spend it to make better beers. I'll be right there to buy them.

The SA 'nearest location' being in Goolwa (100km from Adelaide) is a bit of a stretch. Hopefully someone else a bit closer gets one going.

Back