"a Crushing Question"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmactruck

Reaction score
Hello there, any ideas on how I can crush/mill 2 kg pale malt without a crush/mill. I mainly do partial mashes and have seen a recent thread where some one was doing it in a coffee grinder!!!!

An old pillowcase and a brick?

get the place you buy it from to crush it for you? Before i had a mill i used to get craftbrewer to crush it for me and store it for up to a month (i'm sure i could have stored it longer). Do you know any local brewers who have mills? I was lucky enough to have very friendly brewers nearby who would crush grain for me (and help me do everything else!)

I looked around for cheap milling options and at the end of the day anything you have to buy will only be marginally cheaper than a proper MM2. And once you buy a mill your grain price goes from $4/kg to a $1.60/kg so ts well worth it.

You could use a food processor (blender part) and then use a bag, aka BIAB style. I did this for a couple of batches but "killed" two processors, hence the mill in the post. If you do, I recommend blending in small batches and letting it cool down.

i am a fellow blender abuser. after blowing up one rocket blender too many i ordered a monster mill. it took a couple of sacks before i let the smoke out of the rocket though. so you should be right with a couple of kilos.

I've been in the same position before, having to crack 2kg of base malt without a mill and went with the blender option, it works but it's a PITA. Long story short, I bought a proper mill after that.

Latest posts

Back