A Case Of Non-collapsing Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuddnuddler

Reaction score
I have an 'Authentic IPA' (Coopers website recipe) on the go - Coopers IPA can, 1kg LDM, 500g dex, US05 yeast, 20 litres.
It's 10 days in, FG has dropped from an opening 1054 to 1009 (stable reading for couple of days).
But the krausen hasn't collapsed, is still 2-3cm thick and up to 5cm thick in some places. Looks just like the middle stages of fermentation.
Any theories why krausen hasn't subsided?
Anybody experienced this before?
Am I right to bottle in a few days even with such a large krausen, given FG readings say fermentation has finished?
Would welcome any thoughts...
cheers

Sometimes it just won't recede, don't be concerned as it is nothing to worry about. You're right to bottle once the FG is stable and on target, sounds like it is. A few days chilling would probably flatten out the krausen if it concerns you, however that's not necessary IMO and is more about getting the suspended yeast and any other remaining muck settled out.

Sometimes it just won't recede, don't be concerned as it is nothing to worry about. You're right to bottle once the FG is stable and on target, sounds like it is. A few days chilling would probably flatten out the krausen if it concerns you, however that's not necessary IMO and is more about getting the suspended yeast and any other remaining muck settled out.

bewdy, thanks for that.
cheers

I wouldn't worry yet, if it's only been 10days. A lot of brewers won't even go near the fermenter until two weeks is up...
Id wait a few more days anyway, even if it had settled. then,

as previously mentioned, if it's done, throw it in the fridge as cold as you can get it without it freezing and leave it for a few days. That'll teach it who's boss.

Latest posts

Back