A Can A Plan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Reaction score
hi all, my first post on this site!!!!!!!! been surfing for a couple of days getting filled in on the basics.
Just started brewing a month ago, onto my fourth brew. first was a morgans draught (real basic but i am already drinking it) not bad. drinking my first batch of ginger beer right now, bit tipsy!!!
I have ended up with a tin of Morgans dark ale and would be interested on recipe ideas. I am not sure what i can make with this thing but willing to give anything a try. I dont mind porters or light stouts but as i said, open to any ideas from the more experienced or adventurous!!

Cheers, :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Newbud welcome mate and enjoy.

Try the recipeDB tab in the top menu. Lots of stuff in there

Ad.

Welcome to the forum.

What is the exact name of the Morgans Dark Ale? Is it the Ironbark?

If so then I have made two of them in the past and they ended up a nice clean brew but seriously bland. I would do the following:

A can of Ironbark
A kilo of light dried malt extract
the kit yeast is ok for this brew as it is an all purpose ale yeast.

Make up as directed then cook up a teabag, as directed on the pack, of either cluster hops or fuggles hops.

Alternatively, and cheaper per brew, get a 90g pack of the above hops from CraftBrewer or another sponsor and use 15 to 20g of the pellets, straight into the fermenter.

This should give a bit more oomph to the flavour. The Ironbark is quite drinkable but really needs a flavour boost.

Cheers

thanks adraine,
pretty addictive this home brewing. can you use the dark ale in a pale ale recipe?
i suppose this is the beauty of home brew, try and find out!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

What is the exact name of the Morgans Dark Ale? Is it the Ironbark?

If so then I have made two of them in the past and they ended up a nice clean brew but seriously bland. I would do the following:

A can of Ironbark
A kilo of light dried malt extract
the kit yeast is ok for this brew as it is an all purpose ale yeast.

Make up as directed then cook up a teabag, as directed on the pack, of either cluster hops or fuggles hops.

Alternatively, and cheaper per brew, get a 90g pack of the above hops from CraftBrewer or another sponsor and use 15 to 20g of the pellets, straight into the fermenter.

This should give a bit more oomph to the flavour. The Ironbark is quite drinkable but really needs a flavour boost.

Cheers

hey bribieG, thanks for the info man, I have acouple of teabags of cluster, might just try that. its still gunna be beer and drinkable but as i am a noob respect any info you guys can impart my way!!!!
I was thinking of using the malt extract as i used some in the ginger bber and gave it a good body.

Talked to my local hbs owner, have used the dark ale with 500gm dark malt,450 gm malt extract 250 gms maltodextrin, 750gms dextrose. (I bumped up the sugar, wanted a stronger dark beer)
I have stuck with the ale yeast included with the kit. Also threw in a teabag of cluster hops, already smells good. I live in the tropics so our tap waters coming out at 26-30degrees at the moment. aircon was on all last night and this morn the wort was chilled down to 24degrees. only quick way of cooling down as it was on 36 after i had mixed it all up. Fingers crossed.
thnxs for the advice.

Be careful adding yeast at those temperatures.
It can produce very unpleasant aromas and harsh 'ice pick thru the brain' alcohols.

Welcome to the forum.. brew like mad.
:)

Back