A Bit Like A Conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glen

Reaction score
conical.jpg
conical2.jpg
I got this for $6 on ebay - all stainless (not sure about the 2" ball valve - how do I tell?). Apparently it was built to make jerky but didn't work well! It has little intricate removable hand-made meat racks inside. The seller said it took months to make and cost around $900 in materials. The welding is amateurish, but is a bit tidier inside than out. Is it likely that the welds are not beer-safe? It's over 70 litres. Do you reckon it's worth trying to get a lid and a side valve? If not, it's probably destined to be a grain hopper in my chook pen. Shame to see it covered in chook poo.

i'd give it a bash, since it only cost you so little i'd probably take it in somewhere and get em to tidy up the welds and put it on a stainless stand
even after that it would still be a cheap conical, how would you control ferment temps with it though?

another thought, fit it with a falsie and it would make a hell of a mashtun :)

Valve doesn't look SS to me. Cast something or other. I would pen the $900 in original materials about right. I would give it the once over, check welds, fix em up where needed. Hell it was $6, give it a go. At the very worst, bulk grain storage...for beer?

If the valve is S/S it will have 316 or 304 (Grade of S/S) stamped on it somewere. If not it looks like Cast Ali to me.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I was starting to think mash tun too.

Even if you had to line it with one of those BOP ferment bags, like pull the bag through the valve hole and screw the valve back on, plastic over the top etc. I would use it, no problems.
Its going to work and you have a good fermenter. People use to brew in bath tubs, apparently. :rolleyes:
Nev

I love those awesome cheap ebay scores. This one looks great! Definitely look at using it for something brewing related. There is the issue of temp control, but surely there's a way to work around it? Maybe look out for cheap coolroom panels on ebay now?!

Maybe look out for cheap coolroom panels on ebay now?!

And try to score a carton of cheap electricity at the same time. Doesn't matter if it's second hand.

But honestly, great score! I like Nev's idea with the BOP bags, although that kinda defeats the purpose of having a stainless steel fermenter I guess, so maybe as a last resort.

I'd try to fit it into a fridge too, you might have to shorten the legs a bit. What's the diameter?

how was your bath tub beer nev?? or was it moon shine :p

I would use it like nev says if you can get a liner and line it pull it threw the valve fold it over and screw the valve on over the plastic (check for leaks) then fold the top over and sort out a lid (or glad wrap it :p ) then you should be fine. Or clean it well and try it. If it doesnt work look at other options.

Clean, check welds, get them fixed maybe and start brewing sours/saisons ;)

Temperature control sorted by the flying spaghetti monster.

Latest posts

Back