A Better Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenewenger

Reaction score
Howdy All

I have made a couple of really good oatmeal stouts which I want to turn into great oatmeal stouts.

I am happy with my ingredients but want some idea on how to make it better. like mash times and temps and do people do a longer boil thing like that . does irish moss make that much difference etc etc etc .....

any help along those lines will be great

Thanks

AW :D

what are your ingredients mate ?

I have been thinking of doing an oatmeal stout soon. I was talking to MHB about it today while i was in the shop.

He recomended doing a mini mash of equal quantities of quick oats and finly cracked pale malt at about 50 to 55deg to break down all the oats before adding it to the mash.

I will probably mash at 66 to 67 deg and boil for 60 min.

I rish moss is great but probably not so important in a stout. Who cares if its got a bit of haze, you cant see it anyway

cheers

Good timing - I'm about try brewing one up as well
20 litre batch

Marvis Otter -3.8kg
Pale Choc malt -0.4kg
Wheat malt -0.2kg
Oat Flakes -0.2kg
Roast Barley -0.2kg
Dark Crystal -0.2kg

Green Bullet pellets 40gm 60 minutes
EKG plug 10 minutes

100ml Expresso coffee in primary
Windsor yeast

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I reckon you could drop the wheat and up the oats winkle - I did an oatmeal stout last week with 8% oats and it is tasting just super out of the fermenter.

I reckon you could drop the wheat and up the oats winkle - I did an oatmeal stout last week with 8% oats and it is tasting just super out of the fermenter.

Not deliberately trying to hijack the thread by the way. My plan was to do a single infusion using the "quick" supermarket oats, hence going a bit soft on the oats but if you think I could up the percentage instead of wheat I'm all for it. What was the mash temp you used?

I have just brewed an oatmeal stout using:

3.98 kg Marris Otter
300g of quick oats
140g of Choc Malt
110g of Roasted malt
450g light crystal

With 50g EK Golding for 60 min boil.

Safale SO4 Yeast.

I read in the march/april issue of BYO that if you are using supermarket quick oats that you should actually cook them up according to instructions before adding them to the mash. Apparently only instant oats are able to be added straight to the mash witout cooking them.

Anyway, haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it goes.

I read in the march/april issue of BYO that if you are using supermarket quick oats that you should actually cook them up according to instructions before adding them to the mash. Apparently only instant oats are able to be added straight to the mash witout cooking them.

The uncle toby's "quick oats" product are actually instant oats - they are pre-cooked and just need some hot water to get them ready. If in doubt, read the directions on the pack - if it says to simply add water and eat, then you can add them straight to the mash.

The uncle toby's "quick oats" product are actually instant oats - they are pre-cooked and just need some hot water to get them ready. If in doubt, read the directions on the pack - if it says to simply add water and eat, then you can add them straight to the mash.

Sorry, looks like I read the article wrong. Mis read the comma and the or. The quick oats I used, not uncle toby's, said to boil for 2 mins with 2:1 water to oats.

I tried it tonight. Not too bad however I think I missed the colour. Looks more like an Old and not a stout. Tastes like a stout though. I will be interested to here what others come up with about this style as I am keen to improve on mine.

Back