9l Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB

Reaction score
Hey guys, with the popularity of NickJD's BIAB stovetop thread I was wondering if we have a dedicated thread for 9L batches?

Anyway, can anyone give me some suggestions for my next brew? I can search through recipes non-stop but still have no idea whats what.
On hand I have some Nottingham Ale yeast as well as a $hitload of cascade and saaz from the chinese bulk buy. I'd like some kind of light-ish to golden ale with fruity/citrus hop flavour. I'll be ordering grain from Craftbrewer and would like to do so ASAP. (Need to make an order to get one of those silicon hose--JG--beer line adaptors so I can start filling my kegs through the beer out)

Cheers,
KGB.

Can't go wrong with any of the following:

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale
Tony's Little Creatures Bright Ale clone

Don't be afraid to experiment yourself. I knocked up a Citra Pale Ale not long ago. Was a solid drop. First time I had used that hop and was pretty happy with it. Thinking when I try it again I will use it with another hop rather than by itself.

... I was wondering if we have a dedicated thread for 9L batches?
C'Mon, 9, 20, 40, 100 liters - what's the difference. The receipes are exactly the same.

You guys are not re-inventing penicillin... :D

Better Red than Dead - it's a crackers.

Sorry for being such a rookie unrealous, I wasn't sure if the recipes would be the same due to efficiencies etc and haven't made the step to calculating my own amounts etc yet. I guess I should have asked that originally.
So I can basically just halve a standard batch right?

The BRTD sounds interesting but I don't think its really my taste. I might give it a whirl in the near future...
Any suggestions where I can use some of my kilo of Cascade? :)

Bloke, just download a copy of Beersmith, type the recipe in as is and then hit the scale button to whatever size you want, easy peasy.

Yeah you can do any recipe at 9L mate.

In fact I was thinking this thread would be asking about beers that you should make as a half batch because you wouldn't realistically drink a full batch quickly.

Hey KGB,

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...amp;recipe=1164

I've been doing a number of 9L batches, that are starting to come to drinking time.

Also, as my bro is starting to get into this gig, we've been brewing a number of concurrent 9L batches (i.e. in the same brew day, we'll both brew, each in our 19L big w pot a different style of beer).

The above one uses the saaz hops, cascade could sub for Nelson Sauvin, I've used Nottingham in it. So all you have to do is order grains.

Despite what the db calcs are, it isn't 50-something IBU. I used two different programs and both came up 35-37. It isn't that bitter at all. It is a sort of coppery colour and thinnish in the body. Only issue is that I mashed low-ish (around 65 degrees), so combined with the Nottingham Yeast, it attenuated highly - thin body and it kicks pretty big (I calc'd around 7%).

Hell, with a kilo of the stuff you might as well start experimenting. Cascade is sorta kinda similar to Amarillo - I just made something similar to Dr Smurto's Golden Ale - with the above substituion. Smells and tastes good out of the fermenter - I'll let you know how she tastes in a couple of weeks.

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Sorry for being such a rookie unrealous, I wasn't sure if the recipes would be the same due to efficiencies etc and haven't made the step to calculating my own amounts etc yet. I guess I should have asked that originally.

The BRTD sounds interesting but I don't think its really my taste. I might give it a whirl in the near future...

I love cascade for bittering and use the saaz for the citrus flavour and aroma you're looking for.
For the grain bill, you have unlimited options. Just for something simple you could do: mostly pale/pilsner malt with added crystal and/or carapils for fuller body and mouth-feel. Or add a little vienna?

Experiment! :D

What you save making this, use to buy a copy of Beersmith!

Tony's LCBA Clone

Batch Size: 9.00 L
Boil Size: 11.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

1.33 kg Pale Malt
0.39 kg Vienna Malt
0.11 kg Cara-Pils
0.11 kg Wheat Malt
3.60 gm Cascade Hops [6.40 %] (45 min) 6.9 IBU
7.00 gm Saaz Hops [3.80 %] (45 min) 7.9 IBU
9.00 gm Saaz Hops [3.80 %] (20 min) 3.8 IBU
5.00 gm Cascade Hops [6.40 %] (20 min) 3.6 IBU
10.00 gm Saaz Hops [3.80 %] (0 min)
7.00 gm Cascade Hops [6.40 %] (0 min)
5gm American Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US - 05)

Mash

75 min Saccharification rest 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

Screwy

Good to see you venturing to the darkside KGB ;)

I have beer smith but for my first coupld of "stove top" brews I just used M$ excel to scale down the recipes. Worked for me!

Where can you use a kilo of Chinese cascade. Some would suggest the compost bin.

If you don't have beer smith and you are matematically challenged, if the recipe is for 23L and you want to make it 9L...

...divide 9 by 23 and multiply the result by all your grain and hops and yeast values.

eg.

4.7kg barlez x 9/23 = 1.84kg

Not to be a smart ass but the recipe above for bright ale should be Motueka (B Saaz), not Saaz (Czech Saaz).

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions, recipes, tips etc guys. I'm just starting out on this AG caper and I'm loving it already.
I think I'll try something similar to Tony's LCBA recipe first and then maybe start experimenting/testing with some simple or maybe SMASH brews.

Not to be a smart ass but the recipe above for bright ale should be Motueka (B Saaz), not Saaz (Czech Saaz).

Apologies,

You're correct, when I dug the recipe out, (over 12 months since I have made it) I looked at it an thought that I had duck fupped, so changed the B sazz to Saaz. Clever dick eh!

Here it is for 9L as is :lol:

Tony's LCBA Clone

Batch Size: 9.00 L
Boil Size: 11.03 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

1.33 kg Pale Malt
0.39 kg Vienna Malt
0.11 kg Cara-Pils Malt