$90 For A Crownie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said with each release -taste it before you knock it.
I have tasted each release and can say with some conviction that aside from the Brett. issue last year it is a very, very good beer.
The packaging and pricing is over the top but I described the initial release as a $20 beer in a $30 bottle ( it was $50 at the time).
A far better constructed and brewed beer than many of the imports around the same price level.
I will get knocked for this I am sure but just forget the "crownie" thing and if you get the chance - try it!

....but yeah as good as it is $90 is a bit much.

This release, however, is the first year the distinctive lager has been expertly aged in French oak barrels

I can never understand this. It takes years for even the nastiest spirit to elicit any worthwhile characteristics from barrel aging. What the hell do you get out of 3 months?
And 'expertly aged'? As opposed to what? Dickheads rotating the barrels for 12 weeks?

I'm sure it's nice. Just not $90 nice.

This release, however, is the first year the distinctive lager has been expertly aged in French oak barrels

I can never understand this. It takes years for even the nastiest spirit to elicit any worthwhile characteristics from barrel aging. What the hell do you get out of 3 months?

We barrel age beer at work several times a year and depending on a few factors such as the age of the barrel and the type of oak it is amazing the flavour that comes out of the barrel in the first few months. Spirits, beer and wine are all different beasts and react differently to time in oak.

We use oak in our home wine making and usually only have 3-6 months of contact but get heaps of flavour out of it.

Is this the 4th version of it?

I tried the 1st release fresh and it was a fantastic brew. Not worth the money but a damn fine beer. (cost $60)
I retried the 1st release a month ago and time did not do it well. All the fresh galaxy hop notes had gone, and the beer was a little dull.
I also tried the 2nd release a month ago as well, and it was also uninspiring. I don't even know how to describe it. Like a dubbel without the yeast notes? (cost $70)

I have the bottles in my study, they look great as wall ornaments, and the packaging and bottle is very nice to look at.

YMMV but I just hate that these beers cost what they do. It has gone up $10 more or less every year. It is just like they are testing the market to see what the price ceiling is.

08102011256.jpg

$90 for a crownie, do people really buy this?

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_916486...erve-2011-700ml

I can understand spending heaps on say Mikkeller 1000 IBU or something from a far flung reach of the world that's brewed in small batches. But $90 for an Aussie Lager?

Totally agree.

Wow, we added Galaxy hops so let's charge a shitload!

" pioneered a new luxury style of beer never seen before in Australia." Are you serious? What about that "little" craft brewery that started in the year 2000?

"continues the tradition of adding distinctive crystal malt and fresh Galaxy hops to the brew" I thought it was a new luxury style of beer?

"imparting an even deeper and more concentrated flavour" Since when do lagers have concentrated flavour? :)

We barrel age beer at work several times a year and depending on a few factors such as the age of the barrel and the type of oak it is amazing the flavour that comes out of the barrel in the first few months. Spirits, beer and wine are all different beasts and react differently to time in oak.

Do you use ex-spirit or wine barrels or just fresh fired ones? If the timber was infused heavily with the previous contents, I could see the beer picking up some flavor's. Or maby a lambic or RIS that sits for over a year.
I was just under the impression you needed spirit like alcohol levels like 35% and up to steep out the goodness and concentrate the flavors as it evaporates.
So are you guys are using the barrel like an extended secondary or strictly for aging?

Id never admit that during business hours :lol:

It seems like the price is just there for the wow factor, to impress the people that only drink their standard range.

Pretty stupid, but that's marketing for you

It's weird though, because I'd doubt the actual beer could be drunk and enjoyed by a megaswill tard.

I have an interesting question, let's list the beer we could buy for $90 instead of buying this one. Can be 10 bottles of $9 beer for example. Or a carton of double IPA's perhaps.

Maybe a great beer, that's within the price range that you would drink instead.

Back