Want to try make an Imperial Aussie lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohaw

Reaction score
Hello everyone , I want to have a go at making an imperial Aussie lager just for something different

Wanted to know people's theories on what the ABV , ibu and bu:gu ratio should be and also any advice on the grain bill

Still working out all the recipe bits but what I've got so far is ...

21 litre batch

5kg pils
1kg dextrose

20 ibu of cluster at 40mins
5 ibu of cluster at 10 mins

Boil for 90

Mash 55 for 10 mins , 64 for 40-50 mins , 68 for 10 mins and 72 for mash out
Batch sparge at 65 for 30 mins then up to 72 to finish

Was going to use a German lager yeast and ferment at 9 degrees for 21 days and lager in secondary for 39 days at 1 degree

Brewers friend comes up with an ABV of 7.5 , ibu of 25 and a bu:gu of around 0.35

Got a while before I want to make this probably a couple/few weeks away

Kind of sounds like a shit beer but I'm locked into trying it anyway

Cheers

72 is glycoprotein rest and very high alpa amylase. 77+ is mashout temp.

Your beta rest probably won't leave much for alpha.

Cluster, while at home in many an aussie style, is actually US.

You'll need a lot of yeast but 25-30 ibu seems about right to me for that style and strength.

There are a few very strong pale lagers on the market. Some are ok, most taste like metho and glue so get that yeast pitch right.

How would you suggest I do the mash ?

I normally only do a 64/68 degree mash for most beers

Thinking it may end up methoish but also was planning on making a 3 litre starter with 2 packs of yeast hoping that would be enough

Cluster has been used in Australian beers since the early 20th Century and if you are getting them from a local supplier such as Ross they are indeed Aus. grown down there in Manticle country. They are old Australian cultivars derived from original USA roots and still common in Lion beers such as XXXX.

See "Bronzed Brews".

If using a lager yeast I'd go rather for Wyeast Danish that's similar to Australian lager strains. However this is not unlike my Midnight Train American Malt Liquor and it goes perfectly well as a fake lager. I'd use 2 packs of Nottingham at 15 degrees to help dry it out and avoid cloying sweetness.

It shouldn't end up metho-ish if you ferment cool. 65 degree single infusion mash would be fine.

edit: sounds like my sort of beer. :chug:

Spohaw said:
How would you suggest I do the mash ?
I normally only do a 64/68 degree mash for most beers
Thinking it may end up methoish but also was planning on making a 3 litre starter with 2 packs of yeast hoping that would be enough
If stepping, shorten the low rest and lengthen the higher one, after 72, go to 78.

However it depends on what you want to achieve - a single infusion low to mid 60s should work.

Do you have a regular aus lager recipe you're beefing up? Do a search for far kin lager by batz and maybe add hops, malt and sugar to hit gravity and ibu.

As for yeast - a regular lager needs around double the amount of yeast as a regular gravity ale so high gravity lager needs even more. Yeast will be the key that allows this to work so don't skimp.

As for cluster - right you are bribie.
I'd like a look at that book. Might need to put in an order for it next week.

Cheers guys , I'll just stick to a 64 degree mash then ... Make it easier for me

Be a first crack at a lager but got my mind set on a imp aus lager

I'll do some more reading and look up that far kin lager and adjust the grain bill

I'll get a couple packets more of yeast to try make sure there is enough yeast

Cheers guys

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1461219281.893169.jpg

This bad boy is pretty nice , has a bit of sweetness but it's not chilled like a aus lager should be ... it comes up with a warm mega swill taste which is kinda what I was after , chilled it should be great

No alc flavour at all , low bu:gu , great body and mouthfeel , hops are barely noticeable but definitely there

I think my carlton dry and Carlton dry drinkin friends will be happy

At 7.2% I'm guessing they will be real happy haha

Cheers Matty for the massive help and basically doing the bulk of the work

I'll be makin this again for sure ... But with a California lager yeast

All in all a big fan , it's not a birra del Borgo my Antonia but it's spot on for an imperial Aussie lager

Cheers

Latest posts

Back