80 Deg C Hop Addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkesbier

Reaction score
Hi,

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that you get better flavour and aroma stability from late hopping if you chill to 80 deg C before adding your hops. I also have a recollection of reading on here somewhere that someone was chilling to 80 then "no-chilling" from there. However, I can't seem to find any discussion on this. Is any one able to point me in the right direction?

I would love to see any supporting evidence if such a thing exists as well.

Thanks for the help.
Starkebier

erm, chilling to 80C, then no-chilling? while i can see the advantages with doing flame-out hop additions at 80C, if you're gonna cube it you do run the risk of contaminating it. i can't imagine there being a significant difference in hop flavour/aroma, certainly not enough to warrant the extra effort and potential for losing a batch - but this is purely conjecture...

At 80 degrees you are still at pasturising temps. I know Ross and Chappo do this, as one gets the benefits of no chill without the muted hop aroma or continuous bittering. I don't think it is any better doing a hop addition at 80 then at flameout though, if there is it would be quite minimal.

Latest posts

Back