60degC sparge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkj

Reaction score
Anyone played around with cooler-than-75ºC sparge temperatures?

Instant hot water here is 60ºC so I'm trying that for this batch. It's after mash-out so shouldn't matter really for enzyme temperatures, and I can't see the viscosity being too different between 60º and 75º.

I see http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2009/05/12/cold-water-sparging/ tried 15ºC sparge water, made a bit of a difference.

I regularly sparge at around 60' after mashing out. Haven't noticed any marked decline in efficiency.

60ºC is still hot water and would think wash out the sugars but would not denature the enzymes so would there be further conversion until boil.

Some brewers report good results with just using cold water. There are a few examples on YouTube of doing a cold water sparge with single vessel BIAB in situations where the brewer doesn't have an alternative method of heating water.

I've batch sparged with hot tap water, can't say it made a notable difference. Still ended up with fermentables that tasted like beer post-ferment.

I remember seeing tiny from off tap brewing, sparge with the garden hose and spray nozzle.

Likewise, QLDKEV has said he sparges/has sparged with the garden hose.....

I sometimes sparge with cold water. Its temp(~30-40) is dependant on how long I mash for, as I take off the sparge water after heating and before putting in grain. With my current mash shedule, no sparge I get 75% mash eff. With 12% mash vol. sparge, 85% mash eff. The only thing I dont about cold sparge is it adds time to the boil and frequently I wanna go to bed so I omit it.

Commercial breweries have masses of hot water due to heat exchange systems so it's in their interests to use hot water, and not just modern breweries, they've been doing heat exchange stuff for a hundred years ever since thermodynamics was explained.
In our case as home brewers we are lumbered with paying for energy to either heat sparge water or to heat it later as part of the boil. Swings / roundabouts I suppose.

Off topic: I've discovered that I have a heat exchanger:

In species that have external testes (such as humans), the artery to the testis is surrounded by a mesh of veins called the pampiniform plexus. This cools the blood heading to the testis, while reheating the returning blood.

Bribie G said:

In species that have external testes (such as humans), the artery to the testis is surrounded by a mesh of veins called the pampiniform plexus. This cools the blood heading to the testis, while reheating the returning blood.
Oh the mental picture of dangling the coolies in a steaming mash tun ... :huh:

Bribie G said:

I've been doing a dunk sparge all wrong :)

wynnum1 said:
60ºC is still hot water and would think wash out the sugars but would not denature the enzymes so would there be further conversion until boil.
We're talking after mashout, so no problem.

Bribie G said:
Commercial breweries have masses of hot water due to heat exchange systems so it's in their interests to use hot water, and not just modern breweries, they've been doing heat exchange stuff for a hundred years ever since thermodynamics was explained.
In our case as home brewers we are lumbered with paying for energy to either heat sparge water or to heat it later as part of the boil. Swings / roundabouts I suppose.

And this is why I'm a 'Pants off Brewer', Bribie.

I BIAB and often batch sparge. I've tried it hot and cold and not noticed any difference in drainage or mash efficiency.

On an industrial scale sparging at 70-75 is practice because drainage slows down at cooler temperatures. But they're trying to drain large masses of grain.. This might be another case where home brewers have adopted and scaled down big-batch practices, some of which may not be necessary at home.

I BiABasket ( a perforated pot) after the standard BiAB procedure I sparge by pouring 60 degree water into the suspended basket to rinse what I can, I use a 1.8 litre kettle which I bring to the boil and then add cold water to bring it to 60 degrees ( all in a separate pot) using a $16.00 ebay digital thermometer.
And touch it up by using my $5.00 Woolies mash paddle as a press, a potatoe masher.

Works for me.

Bribie G said:
In our case as home brewers we are lumbered with paying for energy to either heat sparge water or to heat it later as part of the boil.[/i]
Harvesting chiller off run is not at all common in craft breweries in Australia. I've Brewed at ~10 commercial breweries from ~600l to ~6000l and they all have fired HLTs - sparging at mash out temp is not a commercial consideration at decent craft scales.

I can't speak for 200hl+ craziness.

Latest posts

Back