60% efficiency batch sparge ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus your consistency will improve dramatically as well due to the variability you can get with sparging

In my system I have a massive efficiency trade-off based purely on stirring the mash. If I don't stir I can recirculate easily for 2 hours, fly sparge and live happy on about 70% brewhouse efficiency.

If I add one or 2 stirs into the mash I can hit 85% but after the first stir it will never run so well (not a stuck mash but a very slow, gluggy one).

Parks said:
In my system I have a massive efficiency trade-off based purely on stirring the mash. If I don't stir I can recirculate easily for 2 hours, fly sparge and live happy on about 70% brewhouse efficiency.

If I add one or 2 stirs into the mash I can hit 85% but after the first stir it will never run so well (not a stuck mash but a very slow, gluggy one).
increase your water to grain ratio and you might have better luck with your stuck mash

Jacob Thomas said:
increase your water to grain ratio and you might have better luck with your stuck mash
That's not the issue. The issue is stirring releases too much flour which settles on the false bottom.

It's not a problem, it's a trade off. Much like milling coarse vs fine.

Parks said:

Lot to be said about a gentle stir during mash & sparging. It was one of the things I learnt fairly early on....amongst a lot of other little things...

Parks said:
That's not the issue. The issue is stirring releases too much flour which settles on the false bottom.

It's not a problem, it's a trade off. Much like milling coarse vs fine.
With my type of false bottom it can use up to about 20-30% flour.

More flour = better eff, but it will glue up the grain bed. This is why I sparge with boiling water, helps loosen up the grain bed. If you recirculate, then a lot of the flour and fines end up on the top of the grain bed

Back