6 Craft Beers I Should Put On Restaurant Menu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about James Squire Pilsner or Golden Ale? They're aussie, a notch above the rest, and agreeable even to the TED drinkers. I know they're not as exciting as other options, but could be good for selling a higher volume.

What about James Squire Pilsner or Golden Ale? They're aussie, a notch above the rest, and agreeable even to the TED drinkers. I know they're not as exciting as other options, but could be good for selling a higher volume

I agree, Also you will get support from your local LN rep who has access to point of sale, bar runners, glasses. Malt Shovel has employed a Craft Beer Ambassador for each state to better represent this category. They run around and do beer dinners and organize merchandising and tasting sessions. If you start pumping out some volume they will even organise to have your menus done for with beer food taste matching ideas!

Cheers,

JJ

Hello all.

Well after 2.5 years, our Restaurant could finally be getting its Liquor License and I would like some feedback on what 6 beers I could put on our Menu as Craft/Imported Beers apart from the general Swill around....e.g xxxx, vb etc etc

Cheers

Cudos to you mate for having the balls to do it. Having craft beers on your drinks list is enough to get me to call in next visit. Due to the fact you get domestic and international inbounds there for the Whale Watching Season I would have a section highlighting QLD micros and most likely only their Pale Ales or Wheats, wouldn't sell many darks I wouldn't think. Then the obligatory LC Pale and definitely Rogers for the "light brigade", Murrays Nirvana and Sassy Blonde. And if you want a couple for the girls go a ferel White and Northern Rivers Brewing's Ruby one of the best Raspberry Wheats I've had. So sorry I've got you 6 Australian Micros and maybe say 4 Qld Micros, but you gotta offer tourists local beer. Watch the locals catch on too.

Most of these you can get at Dans, liquor w'salers would say "whaa!", you could mark em up by 100% without going over the top, slow turnover means shelf space and storage costs are gonna eat up any profits anyway (from your beancounters perspective). But it "gets em in the door" ---- SIGNAGE

Well done you!!!

Screwy

As far as the Restaurant goes, most of the plebs will be drinking Mega-swill, probably more so VB, CROWN, XXXX etc etc, just for the record, these customers wouldn't know what Beer-Food-Wine matching is and wouldnt give a shit if if I tried to persuade them.

If you put a beer matching suggestion on the menu next to some of the meals, they will be more likely to try that beer just to give it a go, the power of suggestion. I was in NZ a few weeks ago and tried as many brewery type pubs and retsaurants as I could, I was dissapointed when some of them didn't have matching suggestions.

I beleive you need to have a good strategy to 'sell' these beers, otherwise you'll sell a few but won't get the stock turnover you need to ensure freshness and that they stay on the menu.

I beleive you need to have a good strategy to 'sell' these beers, otherwise you'll sell a few but won't get the stock turnover you need to ensure freshness and that they stay on the menu.

The job of restaurant floor staff is not waiting tables (misconception). They are there to sell food and drink (beer or wine) if they're not doing that then turn em over, plenty out there capable of earning the money. Intro the sell using a pairing suggestion on the menu. Basic F&B.

Screwy

I reckon it's great that you're going to have some good beers on your menu.

All Queensland beers might be a good idea. XXXX and Gold all the way.

Mount Tamborine Brewery has some great beers. Speak to Ian (beersom on this forum). Also Burleigh Brewing, Sunshine Coast Brewery.

Cheers,
Wrenny

The all Qld brews has got to be the best option.
I would be inclined to call some local breweries to your area and ask them if THEY would like to showcase their beers in your establishment.
If that doesnt light your candle, grab a fistful of other great Aussie beers from various breweries that dont cost the earth.
One of each:
Amber
IPA
Wheat
Porter
Stout
Light (in colour) Ale

What you are doing is a great idea, and I look forward to my next Qld trip.
I hope you have a good vego selection on the menu.
Let us know how you go.

Duke Lager (Burleigh Heads)
Sunshine Coast Summer Ale ( Sunshine Coast, your closest brewery.... and this is a tasty mid - stength 3.5%)
Northern Rivers Blonde Ale (near Byron Bay)
Duke Pale Ale
Sunshine Coast Hefe-weizen
Murrays Pilsner (mid NSW coast)

All very good beers, easy sellers (nothing too challenging for staff to get their heads around) and relatively local ( I agree with Scotty about low beer miles).... Would love to suggest some of my own (Mt tamborine Brewery) but we are not bottling yet and it would be just to much of a blatant self interest plug .... not that I am above that mind you :p

If you want some contacts for the above breweries or other craft beer distributers in QLD just send me a PM

Well "local" micro bottled stock - perhaps a mix of Dukes (Burleigh Brewing), NRBC and Murrays. Sunshine Coast and MT would be an option if they bottled (I'm ignoring SCB chilli beer). Maybe Dukes lager, mid strenght & Hefe: Murrays Sassy Blonde & Pale Ale ( a few bottles of Grand Cru or Anniversary 2 for us beer-geeks) and NRBC Migration or Stout. I'd be pretty happy with a beer list like that.

I wouldn't fry them, but oysters and a good dark go down beautifully.

I disagree with the bloke that said darks wouldn't sell, though they are something of an acquired taste a lot of Aussies have gone to the effort. If you're looking for something you can charge for Coopers Vintage has a bit of a following. In fact even overseas Coopers has a good reputation.

Plus if you mean what I think you mean by 'modern Aussie food' then there are plenty of options they'll go well with. A medium-rare steak and a good dark - mmmmm.

A light, highly carbonated ale for seafood and lighter spicy dishes, chicken, salads, etc. Anything you'd drink white white wine with.

Wheat beers for me have been either hit or miss. They can be thin and nasty, or light and tasty. Go great with strong flavours, or as an aperitif to get you interested. Or even between courses to cleanse the palate.

I'd try and get your wine drinkers to have a beer when changing wines - it's a good idea.

How about a good quality cider for those who aren't into beer, but don't feel like wine? There should be more options other than strongbow *shudder* - even ye olde mecury's a step up from that.

Those who know beers better will be able to name specific brews, but that's the kind of things that spring to my mind.

People like me are probably going to be the ones you're trying to get to buy your craft beers with the meal matching. Connoisseurs know what they like, and how to match their own beers. I'm a pleb - one of the swill drinkers you mentioned. I mean I can taste the difference, and I'm pushing myself to learn about the good stuff, and would love the chance to learn more.

For someone like me beer matching on the menus really would get me to try your matchings, and even take my friends. If there were such a restaurant in Adelaide I'd be there =).

signed

Pleb with delusions of grandeur

I would put a lower alcohol beer in the mix, something like Rogers.

You have a high regard for your customers.

I also run a restaurant/bistro and I know exactly what he is talking about!

"What do you mean you dont sell wedges???????"

Though selling drinks to customers is a lot easier then the food side of it.

Good luck with it... we are piking out of ours in a months time!

Stellas a great choice for your menu, it pleases most people and doesnt really clash with any food!

It depends what market your in, what kind of people dine on your premises. You want to be able to choose products that your punters will drink. It's easy to please (AHB people beer palate) but not the customers that walk into your spot! You could be left with very nice beer to drink yourself.

On the topic of food matching when I was in NZ I ate at several restaurnats that were entrants in the Monteith's Beer and Wild Food Challange.

http://www.monteiths.com/nz/siteFiles/wfc/index.html

At one place I had goat shanks braised in Celtic Red served with more of the same, at another boar with the Black. Mmmmmm.

I gave them a go because they were on the menu and had a beer match. A good way to learn about matching is to experience it. Again the power of suggestion at work.

On the topic of food matching when I was in NZ I ate at several restaurnats that were entrants in the Monteith's Beer and Wild Food Challange.

http://www.monteiths.com/nz/siteFiles/wfc/index.html

At one place I had goat shanks braised in Celtic Red served with more of the same, at another boar with the Black. Mmmmmm.

I gave them a go because they were on the menu and had a beer match. A good way to learn about matching is to experience it. Again the power of suggestion at work.

Redoak in Sydney does this quite successfully, but of course they have Sydney CBD clientele.....

Just brutal honest and knows the clientele. Ever try and get a kid that wants grilled cheese to eat the fried oysters?

Well said.. ;)

What about James Squire Pilsner or Golden Ale? They're aussie, a notch above the rest, and agreeable even to the TED drinkers. I know they're not as exciting as other options, but could be good for selling a higher volume.

Yeh, I know of a few Restaurants in Brisbane doing some nice Dinners with James Squire Beers and yes, its not about having something from the other side of the world, just something that people dont get in other eateries, its like my food, in Hervey Bay if you want something different than whats available elsewhere come to my Restaurant. Unfortunately im doing food today that is the same as what I was doing 6 years ago and its still a little upmarket for people..

Cudos to you mate for having the balls to do it. Having craft beers on your drinks list is enough to get me to call in next visit. Due to the fact you get domestic and international inbounds there for the Whale Watching Season I would have a section highlighting QLD micros and most likely only their Pale Ales or Wheats, wouldn't sell many darks I wouldn't think. Then the obligatory LC Pale and definitely Rogers for the "light brigade", Murrays Nirvana and Sassy Blonde. And if you want a couple for the girls go a ferel White and Northern Rivers Brewing's Ruby one of the best Raspberry Wheats I've had. So sorry I've got you 6 Australian Micros and maybe say 4 Qld Micros, but you gotta offer tourists local beer. Watch the locals catch on too.

Most of these you can get at Dans, liquor w'salers would say "whaa!", you could mark em up by 100% without going over the top, slow turnover means shelf space and storage costs are gonna eat up any profits anyway (from your beancounters perspective). But it "gets em in the door" ---- SIGNAGE

Well done you!!!

Screwy

Thanks screwy, most decent response ive had so far, and yes I will have to get the Beers from Dans and they do have quite a good selection of Aussie/Qld Micro Beers and its a great selling point to Visitors from overseas.

If you put a beer matching suggestion on the menu next to some of the meals, they will be more likely to try that beer just to give it a go, the power of suggestion. I was in NZ a few weeks ago and tried as many brewery type pubs and retsaurants as I could, I was dissapointed when some of them didn't have matching suggestions.

Beer, Wine suggestions for the dishes is what I plan on doing, Ive done many Wine lunches/dinners and being a Chef and also working on the floor, I can pair, suggest the beverages accordingly if need be...

Duke Lager (Burleigh Heads)
Sunshine Coast Summer Ale ( Sunshine Coast, your closest brewery.... and this is a tasty mid - stength 3.5%)
Northern Rivers Blonde Ale (near Byron Bay)
Duke Pale Ale
Sunshine Coast Hefe-weizen
Murrays Pilsner (mid NSW coast)

All very good beers, easy sellers (nothing too challenging for staff to get their heads around) and relatively local ( I agree with Scotty about low beer miles).... Would love to suggest some of my own (Mt tamborine Brewery) but we are not bottling yet and it would be just to much of a blatant self interest plug .... not that I am above that mind you :p

If you want some contacts for the above breweries or other craft beer distributers in QLD just send me a PM

Thats great mate, I will pm you...

Well Cheers Trevc, jimmyjack, screwtop, wrenny, swinging beef and beersom. Your answers were just what I was chasing.

Not a QLD local, but I always thought that the Barons Australian Native range would do well in tourist areas.

The Black Wattle Seed Ale and the Lemon Myrtle Wit. I haven't had the Wit but love the Ale.

Just a suggestion. No affiliation, yada yada.

I wouldn't fry them, but oysters and a good dark go down beautifully.

I disagree with the bloke that said darks wouldn't sell, though they are something of an acquired taste a lot of Aussies have gone to the effort. If you're looking for something you can charge for Coopers Vintage has a bit of a following. In fact even overseas Coopers has a good reputation.

Plus if you mean what I think you mean by 'modern Aussie food' then there are plenty of options they'll go well with. A medium-rare steak and a good dark - mmmmm.

A light, highly carbonated ale for seafood and lighter spicy dishes, chicken, salads, etc. Anything you'd drink white white wine with.

Wheat beers for me have been either hit or miss. They can be thin and nasty, or light and tasty. Go great with strong flavours, or as an aperitif to get you interested. Or even between courses to cleanse the palate.

I'd try and get your wine drinkers to have a beer when changing wines - it's a good idea.

How about a good quality cider for those who aren't into beer, but don't feel like wine? There should be more options other than strongbow *shudder* - even ye olde mecury's a step up from that.

Those who know beers better will be able to name specific brews, but that's the kind of things that spring to my mind.

People like me are probably going to be the ones you're trying to get to buy your craft beers with the meal matching. Connoisseurs know what they like, and how to match their own beers. I'm a pleb - one of the swill drinkers you mentioned. I mean I can taste the difference, and I'm pushing myself to learn about the good stuff, and would love the chance to learn more.

For someone like me beer matching on the menus really would get me to try your matchings, and even take my friends. If there were such a restaurant in Adelaide I'd be there =).

signed

Pleb with delusions of grandeur

Well said, we still do have women that drink beer, I liked the idea of another response and suggested a Raspberry beer. My main aim is to have a selection of Beers on that you dont get at other eateries and that people would be interested in trying, not all people like drinking mega-swill, but they generally have no choice because that is all that is generally served, I think alot of customers would jump at the chance to order something that is a little different or unique...

I also run a restaurant/bistro and I know exactly what he is talking about!

"What do you mean you dont sell wedges???????"

Though selling drinks to customers is a lot easier then the food side of it.

Good luck with it... we are piking out of ours in a months time!

Stellas a great choice for your menu, it pleases most people and doesnt really clash with any food!

It depends what market your in, what kind of people dine on your premises. You want to be able to choose products that your punters will drink. It's easy to please (AHB people beer palate) but not the customers that walk into your spot! You could be left with very nice beer to drink yourself.

The wedges one is exactly what I was talking about with some of the customers, for example, yesterday I had a group of 5 in for a Birthday Lunch, I set White Linen Tablecloth, Napkins, nice table centrepiece, full table service and their total bill came to $80 for 5 of them($16 each), thats why I think about some customers in a negative way...

Hey Clean Brewer,

FYI, Burleigh Brewing are releasing a hefeweizen within the next week or two - maybe something different to round out your selection? IMHO, it's quite tasty.

Care to share the name of your restaurant - just in case some of us are up (or down) your way? :p

Latest posts

Back