6 Craft Beers I Should Put On Restaurant Menu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh that special "imported" taste. You can get the same taste in BUL stuff by leaving it in the sun for a minute or two (not too long).

Every Pilsner Urquell I've tried has been fairly off. Totally old and skunky. Definitely not worth it. I'm a sucker, and keep purchasing the stuff thinking I'll get a fresh one.

Im a bit spooked about not having wedges....what else am I going to have with my VB :ph34r:...Damn I just stepped on my white ox with my thong....must be a hole in my flanno pocket...

There's nothing more sexy then a man wearing a flannie drinking a VB Stu.... espeacially while looking vunerable.

Damn that menu looked good.

Shouldn't have looked at it before lunch. The little tin of tuna I then ate just didn't taste that great anymore.

There's nothing more sexy then a man wearing a flannie drinking a VB Stu.... espeacially while looking vunerable.

Yes...especially when looking at a menu and wondering weather to have oven roasted morrocan lamb loin wrapped in prosciutto with mediterranean salad greens with a nice glass of Tempranillio or just go for a 4 & 20 pie...with sauce...and a VB :huh:

This is a very hard task due to lack of availability at Dans and the town itself, ive bought 3 beers to drink myself and try and maybe put them on the menu..

Probably just start with 3 and buy a 6pack of each to see how they go..

Burleigh Brewing Hefeweizen
Red Oak Organic Pale Ale (for the tree huggers :p )
OBrien Brewing Lager (gluten free, so many of these coeliacs and GF people these days)

See what happens, would just like to have some Beer in the fridge that isnt what you get everywhere..

Cheers

Hello all,

Here is a link to our web-site if you would like to have a look. Its a work in progress..

http://www.waterfrontrestaurant.info/

Cheers

Don't want to be the spelling Nazi but since it's advertising your business I thought I'd point out on the front page;

1. whales if your lucky - should by "whales if you're lucky",
2. after the star's come out - should be "after the stars come out"
3. Our head chef Jody use's only the freshest produce and focuss on - should be "Our head chef Jody uses only the freshest produce and focuses on"

I wouldn't normally bother commenting on spelling but since, like I said above, it's advertising your business I felt compelled to at least let you know...

Burleigh Brewing Hefeweizen

Had one of these the other day, poured relatively clear for a Hefe and was MASSIVELY phenolic. I'm thinking there may have been an mild infection that is accentuating the phenols or maybe my bottles had been hanging around for a bit/at temp but it was a best before Nov. this year. Whatever esters were there were a long way back. I managed to get through the bottle but only just.

Would be best for myself to buy a few different beers and try with some dishes on the menu and go from there.

I think that would be a grate idea, try putting your findings on the menu. e.g. $X.50 specialty beer XX (QLD Local beer/Imported XX) this beer works grate with X dish it really brings out the (some bull)...
I went to a restaurant that has something very close to this and i would pick the meal depending on the beer i wanted to try that night, you may even see the swill drinkers having a go every now and again

Good luck and i hope it works out for you.

Don't want to be the spelling Nazi but since it's advertising your business I thought I'd point out on the front page;

1. whales if your lucky - should by "whales if you're lucky",
2. after the star's come out - should be "after the stars come out"
3. Our head chef Jody use's only the freshest produce and focuss on - should be "Our head chef Jody uses only the freshest produce and focuses on"

I wouldn't normally bother commenting on spelling but since, like I said above, it's advertising your business I felt compelled to at least let you know...

I know, thats my partner doing that, we've already had a lady from the University spend a shit load of her own time print off the whole web site and spell, puncuate and nearly re-write it all, bit like being at school really... :unsure:

Thanks anyhow, ill get her on to it when some time drops from her arse... :icon_cheers:

Oh, just trying OBrien Brewing Gluten Free Lager, quite nice..

I know, thats my partner doing that, we've already had a lady from the University spend a shit load of her own time print off the whole web site and spell, puncuate and nearly re-write it all, bit like being at school really... :unsure:

Thanks anyhow, ill get her on to it when some time drops from her arse... :icon_cheers:

Oh, just trying OBrien Brewing Gluten Free Lager, quite nice..

Jody, have already congratulated you on having the "Balls" (is that how it should appear :) " to do this. You will have a definite "point of difference" in The Bay. Mate just buy unusual stuff at Dans and 1st Choice where you can and have a beer board with food matching suggestions. You could try emailling some of the Micro's - Brennan Fielding of Burleigh Brewing, Dave Hollyoak at Redoak, Greg Curran at Sunshine Coast Brewery, Kevin Rowlands at Northern Rivers, David Golding at Red Hill Brewery, Andrew at O'Briens and the Murrays guys, see what their minimum buy is and check out freight costs, if they're serious about promoting their beers they might cover freight, otherwise Dans and 1st Choice are probably the go.

IMO BB's Hefe is not a great example Redoaks Organic Hefe is marginally better. It's a must to do the GF and Organic thing, after that I guess it depends on the menu as to what you offer in the way of beers and to some extent the season. On that note Northern Rivers Brewing's Migration Stout should dovetail nicely during Whale Watch Season. Talk to

Good on you!

Cheers,

Screwy

I actually think this is a great idea. I used to work in hospitality: first as a dishpig, then as a waiter, then as a chef. While I worked in places with some tasty beers (I first tasted Duvel and Delerium Tremens in the early 90s and realised foster's and VB were actually not like most other beers) and while I worked in a lot of places where wine matching was the default, I've not seen many where beer matching was part and parcel of the menu.

I'm also familiar with the grilled cheese oyster with wedges and tomato sauce syndrome where's my parmigiana you ******* Iorderedatleast5minutesagoandI'mtryingtoimpressmyladybyaskingwhatthehouserREDwinethatI'mgoingto havewithmyCHICKENbreastisplebfuckerplebcuntexcusethefrench)

Sorry. I got alittle carried away with the nostalgia of it all.

To the point-

If you were going to go all Australian I would suggest:

Grand Ridge
Little Creature's (pale only - I think the bright tastes like detergent)
James Squire

and then 3 QLD microbreweries (whose products I'm less familiar with). Apart from the LC pale ale, I've left the style deliberately blank because it will depend on what you're matching. I like the idea of 6 varied styles (clean lagers, pils, ambers, darks, stouts etc)

I would also sell coopers as an alternative to your megaswill beers - it's a good seller and actually a reasonable beer that won't overly challenge foster's lovers (if you don't already).

further - if you wanted to have an import list as well (always looks fancy) then you could have:

Something from our neighbours - Monteith's
Something from Germany - Schoefferhoffer
Something from Belgium (take your pick - I suggest Duvel, Leffe or Chimay))
Something from Eastern Europe (Kozel)
Something from Asia (Tsing Tsao/Tiger)
Something from the UK (if you get a lot of backpackers I'm guessing you get a lot of people from England and Ireland) and they like????

Guinness
Tetley's
Kilkenny
Boddington's

Again the styles would be picked according to food and diversity.

I'd also have a good range of single malt whiskies such as Arbelour a'bunadh, Lagavulin, Glenfarclas, Bakery Hill and some more regular ones like Glenlivet and Talisker. If you have the balls to leave the biggest seller off the list (Glenfiddich) then you have my respect.

Sorry about the off topic discussion with the whisky etc. but it's all related to malts and super tasty flavours so the apology is mild.

Good wine, good beer, good whisky and good food makes my choice of restaurants easy.

Cute waitresses help too but only a little.

Mate,

The biggest problem is the Food, they just dont get it up here, makes it very f--king hard to do anything when they are not educated in anything, thats why it does my head in... :angry:

If I was back on the Sunny Coast again or Brisbane, it would be a completely different story, all I can do at the moment is grab a small amount of beer and put it on and see how it goes, reason why I grabbed the Gluten Free(heaps of those people)(and quite nice) and the Organic(bit of an easier selling point). And the Burleigh as it is Queensland and something different...

We still dont have the experimental type coming in, its just not where they come, shit even the weddings now are asking for Cleanskin Wines to bring their costs down and Volume up?? :(

Ill see how these couple go and would be quite happy to pick some up from SCB or organise to get some freighted from somewhere else..

Ive discussed the Beer Dinner with my FIL and he thinks its a great idea but would take alot of effort and promotion to make it worthwhile...

Its a very special town unfortunately, I dont think most have even been to Gympie, let alone past it and further south.. :p

How could I forget some beers from Hargraves Hill Brewery, in aid of the bushfires appeal.

Screwy

Mate,

The biggest problem is the Food, they just dont get it up here, makes it very f--king hard to do anything when they are not educated in anything, thats why it does my head in... :angry:

If I was back on the Sunny Coast again or Brisbane, it would be a completely different story, all I can do at the moment is grab a small amount of beer and put it on and see how it goes, reason why I grabbed the Gluten Free(heaps of those people)(and quite nice) and the Organic(bit of an easier selling point). And the Burleigh as it is Queensland and something different...

We still dont have the experimental type coming in, its just not where they come, shit even the weddings now are asking for Cleanskin Wines to bring their costs down and Volume up?? :(

Ill see how these couple go and would be quite happy to pick some up from SCB or organise to get some freighted from somewhere else..

Ive discussed the Beer Dinner with my FIL and he thinks its a great idea but would take alot of effort and promotion to make it worthwhile...

Its a very special town unfortunately, I dont think most have even been to Gympie, let alone past it and further south.. :p

They'll be there Jody, you gotta coax em out, they probably visit the Sunny or Gold Coast every couple of months for a dinner out. Weddings will always be volume/price driven, it's the intimates that deliver better covers. You keep on keeping on.

Screwy

Mate,

I know the problem.

You can make simple non-challenging food that is ******* mindblowingly good so I guess looking at finding beers that are quality, consistent, non challenging and a bit more well known is the way to go. 2 megaswill + 1 coopers + organic + gluten free + 1 or 2 rotating fancier beers of your choice? Buy a slab - if it doesn't sell you write it off on tax and drink it yourself at the end of the evening.

They'll be there Jody, you gotta coax em out, they probably visit the Sunny or Gold Coast every couple of months for a dinner out. Weddings will always be volume/price driven, it's the intimates that deliver better covers. You keep on keeping on.

Can only make a start mate and take it from there.. Its not all the Weddings like that, alot of them actually are quite refined and from interstate or overseas, so if something different is available and/or people recognise, it could go alright. I think alot of people are sick of seeing the same beers available everywhere they go, so if I can get a good range in the fridge on display, it might just make the difference.. But as you say aswell, its up to the floor staff to sell it and thankfully at the moment im doing more work on the floor(just as long as the chef doesnt walk out like normal)...

Would love to be the Chef at a Micro Brewery though, I could do so much.. :beerbang:

You can make simple non-challenging food that is ******* mindblowingly good

Tried too, they dont want to pay the money for it(which is not much either), we are talking about a very budget town here.. When people do eat it, they absolutely love it and its the best food they have ever had, just gotta get them to eat it first.. <_<

2 megaswill + 1 coopers + organic + gluten free + 1 or 2 rotating fancier beers of your choice? Buy a slab - if it doesn't sell you write it off on tax and drink it yourself at the end of the evening.

As I mentioned, the plan is to have up to 6 beers on the menu/list, maybe just go for a 6 pack of each for a start and see how they move, if something works well, keep it on..

Even with the Megaswill, its so random to what everyone drinks, there is not really 1 beer that sells better than the other.. This is what we put in fridge staraight up after getting license(f--k its cost alot of money in lost sales not having a license for 3 years)...
  • Cascade Light - very slow mover, will be taken off, maybe replace with a light craft beer?
  • Hahn Premium Light - the best moving of the lights, good turnover. Will stay on..
  • XXXX Gold - up & down, it sells, it doesnt. Prob will stay on..
  • Carlton Mid - Slow seller. Will come off.. Maybe a mid craft beer?
  • XXXX Bitter - Slow Seller, maybe replace.
  • VB - Slow Seller. Will stay on.
  • Tooheys Extra Dry. Good Seller.. Stay on
  • Stella Artois - Does alright. Stay on.
  • Heineken - Slow mover. Will go.
  • James Boags Premium. Does ok. maybe replace.
  • Corona - the best selling beer ever :icon_vomit: . Has to stay..
I think thats it, would be quite happy to keep the popular megaswills but replace the slow moving ones with some Crafts..

Latest posts

Back