6 Craft Beers I Should Put On Restaurant Menu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Clean Brewer,

FYI, Burleigh Brewing are releasing a hefeweizen within the next week or two - maybe something different to round out your selection? IMHO, it's quite tasty.

Care to share the name of your restaurant - just in case some of us are up (or down) your way? :p

Please do, I am up there 3 or 4 times a year.

Well said, we still do have women that drink beer, I liked the idea of another response and suggested a Raspberry beer. My main aim is to have a selection of Beers on that you dont get at other eateries and that people would be interested in trying, not all people like drinking mega-swill, but they generally have no choice because that is all that is generally served, I think alot of customers would jump at the chance to order something that is a little different or unique...
Saving said this, I think you should really seek out some quality local beers of various styles.
Something along the lines of a light beer, pilsner, pale ale, wheat beer, dark/strong beer, and something along the lines of a fruit beer/cider, covers most bases, but you're definately best off doing a bit of 'research' (ie drinking) to so you can be confident in the selection.

Not sure if its you're sort of thing, but you could promote your beers by having 'beer of the month/day/week'. I've been to quite a few restuarants that often have a wine of the month...not to mention the dishes of the day.... there could be a possibility for this sort of thing working for beers as well.
Though that might also mean you have a 7th beer on your list! ;)

Your restaurant sounds like something I would like to have.

We were given an opportunity a year ago which we thought was to good to refuse. It's a bistro next to a pub. We refused to do somethings but people still refuse to look at the menu and still order! Or they want to change what we have as a selection and not because there allergic to the item. We refused to deep fry everything, we make our own bread etc so we put so so many more hours into it then the previous or new owners. Alot of people did appreciate what we did we just didnt have enough of them. The problem was the seedy pub was in a highbrow area to close to Freo! Our customers scared of the pub's customers. Maybe it was the skimpy's arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Or the lack of dress code.

Good luck in a very hard industry... by the sounds of it you are going well.

Screwtop seems to be on the money... My suggestion with beer is yes go craft but stay familiar and local... And put something like Stella on I think you mentioned that earlier. People assume it's posh. In my opinion it's its not offensive!

Hey but then I listened to customers before and there the first not to buy what they suggested LOL!

Katie (dishearted Bistro owner)

If I were to choose six beers to be on a menu, in Hervey Bay. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... :lol:

Estrella (perhaps one of the greatest swilling beers in the world),

Kolsch (Jarrah Jacks of WA does an excellant one),

Little Creatures Pale Ale (Every menu needs an APA, could be interchanged with jarrah jacks pale ale),

Dogbolter (Every menu needs one dark beer, and being a lager would suit the climate better than a porter),

Barons Lemon Myrtle Witbier (How good is this beer?!),

Schofferhofer Kristall (Need a classic wheat beer).

Aaaah.
That was fun! :lol:

PS I forgot to put in a pilsener, but Estrella and Kolsch would distract me from such an oversight.

Sunshine Coast Summer Ale ( Sunshine Coast, your closest brewery.... and this is a tasty mid - stength 3.5%)

straying :icon_offtopic: a bit, I didn't know SCB had anything in bottles other than the Chilli Beer & Ginger Kegs? Be good if they have.

I would have suggested Carbine Stout in the list but, unfortunately, LN has sent it off to the knackery.

Nice view and nice menu but not the typical beer food.

Stella
James Squires Golden Ale
James Squires Pilsner
Barons Pale Ale
Three sheets (if you could get hold of it)
Kick back wheat beer

Good beers that doesn't offend the in between crowds and at least one will please the fussy beer connosaire
Three sheets is A rather hoppy pale ale and should be served with dishes containing chillis, garlic, coriander etc....

Good luck with your venture

Beer not to put on that menu
Porters, blue tongue lager, Beez Neez.

At the moment, I'll just add a couple

James Squire Golden Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale

I suppose throw in a pilsner/lager, and a rich dark ale/porter there somewhere too.

I'm no food/drink matcher, but choose ones big in flavour, I say.
If you've got the normal swill as well, the plebs can always swing back to that if they're too afraid to try something new.
Good onya for the effort.

I would be happy if I saw these on the menu:

Little Creatures Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale
Coopers Sparkling Ale
Moo Brew Pale Ale <-- probably a tad expensive
Stella Artois <-- nothing wrong with this import

:beerbang:

Not a QLD local, but I always thought that the Barons Australian Native range would do well in tourist areas.

The Black Wattle Seed Ale and the Lemon Myrtle Wit. I haven't had the Wit but love the Ale.

Just a suggestion. No affiliation, yada yada.

Sorry, but don't rate the Black Wattle Seed Ale. The honey flavour and little else just comes off a wee bit bland. Had it on tap so might be better in a bottle.

Agree though that the 'native aussie' twist on the menu would work for a purchase with tourists but wouldn't rate this beer a repeat quaffer. Only my opinion and everyone has different tastes. The myrtle might be better haven't tried.

Hopper.

First of all you want to sell the beer. No point putting an generally unknown beer as most people (my esoteric self excluded) won't touch it. I'd also add all of the beers mentioned in this post to a short list and sample them with your chef. Just to decide what works best for your menu.

That said, I feel strongly about supporting local micro/craft breweries. I'd look out for all of the local breweries and contact them. Put all of the ones that are willing to supply bar mats, posters etc... in your venue on the short list. It will help them promote their beer and you sell it. I would do this regarless.

Another thing to consider is where your customers are from. You'd want to cater for locals (local micros), but where do the bulk of the tourists come from? May want to add a few Japanese beers to the taste list if you get heaps of Japanese tourists through the door. You get my point.

Also, think of the climate. Not alot of people keen for a stout on a 40*C day. You'd be looking at mainly pilsners, lagers, pale ales and wheats if you can keep them fresh.

look at mildura stormy cloud. ripper good brew
little creatures bright ale
gage roads pils

i dont know anything/much of the QLD micro brew scene so cant comment on them.

its great that your actually asking these questions. good stuff!

So, whats on the beer menu?

I'm looking for a night out in the bay soon. ;)

I hope you followed through with this! I'm so sick of every restaurant (and 99% of pubs around here) only having the mega-swill options.

Can I throw in my quick suggestion, many already mentioned:

Knappstein Lager - probably the most interchangeable with dry white, and I imagine good with seafood
Coopers Sparkling - familiar and reliable brand and good with red meat
LCPA - reasonably well known, and always seen next to CSA
Pilsner Urquell - it is well known, and I simply prefer this to stella as an import :)
Becks - Again well known and easy to drink in the heat (pref. not BUL)
Something like Tiger or Kingfisher or Asahi to psychologically go with the asian dishes...

When someone asks for a Becks, you just ask them if they have tried Urquell...

Near lunch time, and this is making me both very hungry and thirsty... Looking good Clean

It is when I buy it. If you look around, you'll find the import.

Sam

Ahhh that special "imported" taste. You can get the same taste in BUL stuff by leaving it in the sun for a minute or two (not too long).

Back