5mm beer line with a 7mm barbell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
So I woke up yesterday with about a pint of beer that had dripped out of one of my beer lines... turns out there was a crack in it, right under the clamp on the barbell.

I tried to put a new one on, but split the line trying to ram it in.

Took a ruler to the barbell and its 7mm, instead of the 6mm ones I see on the keg king website.

Is there a way to use the 7mm barbell or am i going to the shop on saturday?

Perhaps try warming up the line with some boiling water to make it a bit more flexible before putting it on. Might be worth a shot..

laxation said:
So I woke up yesterday with about a pint of beer that had dripped out of one of my beer lines... turns out there was a crack in it, right under the clamp on the barbell.

I tried to put a new one on, but split the line trying to ram it in.

Took a ruler to the barbell and its 7mm, instead of the 6mm ones I see on the keg king website.

Is there a way to use the 7mm barbell or am i going to the shop on saturday?
No wonder you had trouble, barbells have no place in a bar - try a gym

cap-barbell-300-lb-gray-olympic-weight-set-6.gif

good4whatAlesU said:
Perhaps try warming up the line with some boiling water to make it a bit more flexible before putting it on. Might be worth a shot..
have been doing that... it was sitting in boiling water when it split =/

im happy to keep on trying, but dont want to spend an(other) hour of my life swearing at a kettle if it's the wrong stuff to begin with!

Fair enough, might be time to buy another connector/ or line.

The only other way would be if you could find a short bit of wider diam hose, attach that to the barb and then connect the line to the wider hose with an joiner (narrow tube insert) and a couple hose clamps.

good4whatAlesU said:
Fair enough, might be time to buy another connector/ or line.

The only other way would be if you could find a short bit of wider diam hose, attach that to the barb and then connect the line to the wider hose with an joiner (narrow tube insert) and a couple hose clamps.
i dont mind paying $3 for a new barb i just cbf going to the shop on saturday!

Bunnings would have a irrigation line connector probably for under a buck if that's closer. But yep the correct part is probably 3 bucks well spent.

Last resort before purchasing a 6.0mm barb --- Soften beer line with boiling water & attach to barb lightly greased with a food-grade lubricant. Apply stepless clamp.

TidalPete said:
Last resort before purchasing a 6.0mm barb --- Soften beer line with boiling water & attach to barb lightly greased with a food-grade lubricant. Apply stepless clamp.
It was in boiling water when it split :(

Will try the lube though

I won't do that any more after dumping 7kg of gas from a split hose.
If you heat the hose and stretch it over the bigger fitting you are making the material thinner.

Kev R said:
I won't do that any more after dumping 7kg of gas from a split hose.
If you heat the hose and stretch it over the bigger fitting you are making the material thinner.
I got a split host this way too but was before it was in use, thankfully.

I haven't used a 7mm barb but do have a handful which are problematic. Strangely enough the 5mm hose with some stretching fits better and holds integrity better than the 6mm hose...

yeh got the line from keg king. not the barbell though, that came with the freezer when i bought it.

Dip the line into boiled water for a minute as well as putting a little dab of keg lube on the tip of the barb

Get yourself a pair of inner circlip pliers (type that opens when you squeeze them) and use those to expand the end of your line after heating in boiling water. This is how i managed to jam my beer line on

You need a flaring tool. Available from Andale.

They aren't cheap though, so if this is just a "one off" requirement, closed pointy nosed pliers will work.

Heat the tube and your barbed fitting in very hot (not boiling) water.

Insert the closed pliers and push, whilst twisting the pliers to obtain an even flare.

Remove pliers and then push hot barbed fitting into tube.

This method puts even stress on the inner wall of the tube and minimizes the risk of tears or delamination.

Latest posts

Back